New Zealand residents: Bra fence must stay

Professur

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - Residents of a small rural New Zealand district have voted unanimously to retain a "bra fence" - a farm barrier festooned with hundreds of brassieres - after a sole objector tried to get the ladies' underwear removed.

Cardrona on South Island has attracted worldwide attention since four woman hung their lingerie on the fence there on New Year's Day 2000 to mark the "liberation" of the new Millennium. Thousands of tourists stop to photograph the fence each year.

But the community has been facing a cleavage of a different kind because of the fence: U.S. national Andre Prassinos, who lives for part of the year in nearby Wanaka township, has been complaining for more than a year that the titillating testament to the locals' sense of humour presents a "potential traffic hazard."

After he lodged a fresh complaint with the local council last week, Cardrona Valley ratepayers and residents came out in support of the "iconic" fence, voting unanimously for it to stay, said local lobbyist John Scurr.

"We don't want it getting higher, longer or suddenly being filled with boots and knickers as well. But it should stay because it's become part of the valley," Monday's Southland Times newspaper quoted Scurr as saying.

Source

Once again, one self absorbed pissant (not a local, and not even there most of the time) stirs the pot. Thank goodness the locals saw fit to kick him in the nuts and send him packing. It'll be a court case next.

Oh for gawd's sake, mine are always hanging outside the window on our apartment building - in the middle of the Auckland CBD, I might add. Sheesh, it's just a piece of clothing. :rolleyes:

tonksy said:
Can't I just point out this article and then remind them that I am half Kiwi?

Sure! Let me know when your presentation of your case is. I want to record it.

HomeLAN said:
Sure! Let me know when your presentation of your case is. I want to record it.
I'll claim discrimination! They'd be squashing my ethnic roots! Didn't you know that bras on fences are the Kiwi equivalent to stockings on the fireplace? But, like everybody knows we Kiwis celebrate Christmas in the summertime! So bras on the fence in July only makes perfect sense! How dare they infringe upon my rights! Now, what says Christmas more? The pink lace or beige netting?

This ain't the court system. This is your (massively snooty and controlling) neighborhood association. I'd say you're pretty well fucked.

Love to (literally) see you give it a try, though.

Nah...I don't really have that many bras to spare....and then I'd eventually have to take them down and pick the kudzu offa them I'm not crazy about yard work....but don't think I wouldn't!

The thought progression:

1. SnP, a rank and file forum member, reads the thread to this point.

2. SnP takes the known/assumed qualities of the varied posters' personalities into consideration.

3. SnP ponders his own life dilemma.

4. SnP realizes that he is in need of some sort of wind break barrier at his former/soon to be new locale.

5. SnP further ponders the effectiveness of breast support/disentanglement devices against wind speeds.

6. SnP weighs the options carefully.

7. SnP solicits donations from forum members to build a Bra Break on his property, cleverly incorporating the "You'd be contributing to the overall well being of not only a dear forum member, but the entire local neighborhood with your contribution" angle.

8. SnP hides from the masses as they pelt him with stones.

I really hope you get to at least see my neighbors someday. Then you'd understand just how little their opinion of a damn thing means to me.

tonksy said:
I'll claim discrimination! They'd be squashing my ethnic roots! Didn't you know that bras on fences are the Kiwi equivalent to stockings on the fireplace? But, like everybody knows we Kiwis celebrate Christmas in the summertime! So bras on the fence in July only makes perfect sense! How dare they infringe upon my rights! Now, what says Christmas more? The pink lace or beige netting?

call the ACLU?

SouthernN'Proud said:
The thought progression:

1. SnP, a rank and file forum member, reads the thread to this point.

2. SnP takes the known/assumed qualities of the varied posters' personalities into consideration.

3. SnP ponders his own life dilemma.

4. SnP realizes that he is in need of some sort of wind break barrier at his former/soon to be new locale.

5. SnP further ponders the effectiveness of breast support/disentanglement devices against wind speeds.

6. SnP weighs the options carefully.

7. SnP solicits donations from forum members to build a Bra Break on his property, cleverly incorporating the "You'd be contributing to the overall well being of not only a dear forum member, but the entire local neighborhood with your contribution" angle.

8. SnP hides from the masses as they pelt him with stones.

now if it is to block wind, and wind comes in both directions, wouldn`t at one point or another the cups fill with air and make said fence take off like a kansas farmhouse in search of a witch.

ok, from one direction the bras are aerodynamic, and if it shifts your screwed anyway, but think, underwires will act as lightning rods...

wait, underwire as lightning rods, that is right ladies in event of a thunderstorm, remove your bras, in fact at any sign of rain.....

oh look, coffee

Back