next step...

BeardofPants

The nature of wiki means that it was likely that there were multiple originations of wiki text/information, although it certainly looks to me like the fore-runners were American, yes. Currently, there are contributers to wiki information from all over the world. That's what makes it so fuckin' great.

Winky

If you want to be silly
go right ahead
this guy won't mind

Cunningham2.jpg

next you will tell me that the U.N. should control the Internet that AlGore built.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
a13antichrist said:
Interesting, the similarities after all, no?

Were you in WWII Germany? And were you able to witness every single German citizen on a mission to purge the continent of the Jewish scum? No. But enough of them took part for the entire country to be tainted for decades (as you so succinctly demonstrated). And clearly not every US citizen wants to wipe out every Muslim in the Middle East. But enough of them do for the global image of the USA to be forever associated with a mission to exterminate the Arab plague. And there the comparison between the Bush Government and the Third Reich is not only logical, but unavoidable.

Gee...where do you get your information? Do you see masses in the streets calling for the bombing of mosques? I don't. Do you see mass murderers bent on killing every muslim they see? I don't see that either. Then again, most of your views on the subject are extremely myopic, meaning, if it doesn't fit your view, then those facts must be discounted. Sounds like a moronic view to me...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
freako104 said:
Patriot Act states that if you feel that they are a threat or have ties then to call. It is quite vague but basically if you feel that then call. innocent and guilty people can be called in if they worship Allah.

I'm sorry, I missed that part when I read teh Patriot Act. CAn you refresh my memory & point it out?

PostCode

Major contributor!
AlladinSane said:
Really?!? have you changed your mind?

:sigh: I never changed it.

You see, I am an American. I believe in our Constitution. I believe that as an American, I need to back my country in times of need.

We, not they, were attacked.

This is where I feel we are not justified in entering Iraq. We are trying to justify the attack on us through an attack on Iraq on the basis of WMD, which took no part in the attack on our soil. I feel we were justified in attacking, ruthlessly, Afghanistan though. This is where the attacks were/are holed up at.

Sometimes these are not for reasons I enjoy, nor condone, or even accept to be part of my beliefs. Nevertheless, I need to support them, particularly when my fellow soldiers are in harms way.

I will support my government. I will support my soldiers.

PostCode

Major contributor!
But enough of them do for the global image of the USA to be forever associated with a mission to exterminate the Arab plague. And there the comparison between the Bush Government and the Third Reich is not only logical, but unavoidable.

You really need to get a grip on reality here. Maybe someone else who lives here in the United States can point out to me, the apparently blind, where the death camps are?

AlladinSane

PostCode said:
:sigh: I never changed it.

You see, I am an American. I believe in our Constitution. I believe that as an American, I need to back my country in times of need.

(...)

Sometimes these are not for reasons I enjoy, nor condone, or even accept to be part of my beliefs. Nevertheless, I need to support them, particularly when my fellow soldiers are in harms way.

I will support my government. I will support my soldiers.

Ok, got it. It's just that I thought the quote in my signature looked like a pro-war statement.

freako104

PostCode said:
You really need to get a grip on reality here. Maybe someone else who lives here in the United States can point out to me, the apparently blind, where the death camps are?

the only true comparison that we have to the death camps were during WWII for Japanese Americans but they were not death camps. I think they were more like prisons or holding areas.

Gato_Solo

freako104 said:
the only true comparison that we have to the death camps were during WWII for Japanese Americans but they were not death camps. I think they were more like prisons or holding areas.

I think he's talking about the current situation and Guantanamo Bay...where, incidentally, nobody has been killed outright. Kind of puts a damper on the whole 'genocide' theory he's advancing.

PostCode

Major contributor!
freako104 said:

Ahhh yes, Executive Order 9066.

Yes, we interned Japanese Americans during WWII. We interned anyone looking like a person from Japan. Although we didn't have anything close to a death camp, we most certainly tore those peoples lives apart. We confiscated their property, confiscated their lives, conficated everything they had, then threw them into these internment camps without any kind of due process.

Now, some will say that we are doing the same thing in Cuba. Wrong. These people were American citizens, most from birth. Many never even left the United States at any point in their lives, yet they were all deamed a threat to our national security.

The pathetic part was that it was not until 1988 that these people were finally compensated for what they went through. Even still, that was a pathetic amount of $20,000. Four years of suffering for $20,000.

Gato_Solo

PostCode said:
The pathetic part was that it was not until 1988 that these people were finally compensated for what they went through. Even still, that was a pathetic amount of $20,000. Four years of suffering for $20,000.

Aren't you the guy who's against reparations? Why give money to those with only 4 years of suffering when there are people in this country who's ancestors were slaves? :p

BTW...most of those sitting in Gitmo were captured outside of the US.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Gato_Solo said:
Aren't you the guy who's against reparations? Why give money to those with only 4 years of suffering when there are people in this country who's ancestors were slaves? :p

BTW...most of those sitting in Gitmo were captured outside of the US.

Reparations for what? These aren't the ancestors of ancestors of ancestors. These are the very people that were affected.

Gato_Solo

PostCode said:
Reparations for what? These aren't the ancestors of ancestors of ancestors. These are the very people that were affected.

I was born in 1962. The Civil Rights amendment was passed in 1964. :p

PostCode

Major contributor!
Gato_Solo said:
I was born in 1962. The Civil Rights amendment was passed in 1964. :p

You present a tough argument. I'd have to think about that. But, how exactly were your ancestors lives an effect on your life directly? How many generations does one have to classify to say it effected his/her life? How would you go about getting the reparations? For example, what about a state that was not aligned to the south? Would someplace like North Dakota be held accountable?

My arguement here is that you are not, nor were you ever, a slave. Your ancestors were back a number of generations. I'm not trying to justify that reparations are not in order, however, how does one go about deciding on the terms?

In the case of these people, it was clear. They were effected because they were the ones in the camps. You were not a slave. See what I'm trying to get at?

PostCode

Major contributor!
1962? Damn dude. You gotta be getitng close to retirement. How long you been in now? 30 years? :lol:

Gato_Solo

PostCode said:
You present a tough argument. I'd have to think about that. But, how exactly were your ancestors lives an effect on your life directly? How many generations does one have to classify to say it effected his/her life? How would you go about getting the reparations? For example, what about a state that was not aligned to the south? Would someplace like North Dakota be held accountable?

My arguement here is that you are not, nor were you ever, a slave. Your ancestors were back a number of generations. I'm not trying to justify that reparations are not in order, however, how does one go about deciding on the terms?

In the case of these people, it was clear. They were effected because they were the ones in the camps. You were not a slave. See what I'm trying to get at?

Just getting you warmed up.

1. Constant fear, stress, and oppression. I had to grow up with stories from my Great grandmother about night riders (fore-runners to the KKK)burning down houses in the old South (she was from Georgia) if a 'nigger' acted 'uppity'. I also heard about how her grandmother, a slave, and her grandfather, a slave, died when she was only 6...worked to death, she said. If you think none of that has a bearing on my current mental stability (or lack thereof), you're only fooling yourself.

2. My memories of a public pool that was filled in because they township didn't want 'niggers' swimming in it. The town was/is New Brighton, PA. I was 4. That hate was directed at me. The old pool is now a parking lot, and is owned by a small frozen custard chain...Hank's...

3. Going to an almost all-white High School, supposedly Christian, and hearing the word nigger directed at me at least twice a week...mostly for being 'uppity', and/or 'forgetting my place'. I had the actual nerve to be in AP classes...back when AP meant something...

4. Not being 'black enough' to play sports...from both sides...but at least getting quasi-acceptance from the 2 other blacks in my graduating class...

5. Living day-to-day, fighting to keep the anger and frustration under control, never letting anybody know how much their words and deeds actually hurt, out of the fear it would make matters worse.

And you wonder why reparations is such a hot-button issue between us? I lived my whole formative life in a pressure-cooker.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Gato_Solo said:
Just getting you warmed up.

1. Constant fear, stress, and oppression. I had to grow up with stories from my Great grandmother about night riders (fore-runners to the KKK)burning down houses in the old South (she was from Georgia) if a 'nigger' acted 'uppity'. I also heard about how her grandmother, a slave, and her grandfather, a slave, died when she was only 6...worked to death, she said. If you think none of that has a bearing on my current mental stability (or lack thereof), you're only fooling yourself.

2. My memories of a public pool that was filled in because they township didn't want 'niggers' swimming in it. The town was/is New Brighton, PA. I was 4. That hate was directed at me. The old pool is now a parking lot, and is owned by a small frozen custard chain...Hank's...

3. Going to an almost all-white High School, supposedly Christian, and hearing the word nigger directed at me at least twice a week...mostly for being 'uppity', and/or 'forgetting my place'. I had the actual nerve to be in AP classes...back when AP meant something...

4. Not being 'black enough' to play sports...from both sides...but at least getting quasi-acceptance from the 2 other blacks in my graduating class...

5. Living day-to-day, fighting to keep the anger and frustration under control, never letting anybody know how much their words and deeds actually hurt, out of the fear it would make matters worse.

And you wonder why reparations is such a hot-button issue between us? I lived my whole formative life in a pressure-cooker.

You present some very compelling arguments indeed bud and don't think for a minute I don't understand. Although I cannot in any sence of the words understand what it is like that you have gone through, I can understand your position. Your in the military. I was in the military. My best friends were blacks. Hell, my best friend in the military was the only guy I would trust my life with. He was black.

Now, I do want you to understand this. I am not racist. As much as a person can say otehrwise, I can present my reasons, one by one, why I am not. So, please understand that this is not against you, it is not against the black people. Ok?

My position on reparations is the effect. Altough you do present some very compelling reasons, my basic argument is that the people who should have reparation payments are those who were directly effected. Let me put it another way. Lets take dad and son. Dad went to prison for a crime he did not commit. After dad died proof positive showed that dad was in fact innocent. Now son says he wants compensation for the pain. How was the sons pain any greater than the person it most directly effected, in this case dad? It's not. Dad would be the only one that should get compensated. It was not the son that committed those crmes and was falsely accussed. It was dad.

Now again, don't think that I am trying to justify that your reasons and arguments are not valid but how many generations back is justified?

Here's another aspect. Some five or six generations ago on some side of my family a plantation was owned and they did have slaves. Does this now make me directly responsible for compensation? Why should I be held accountable for something I had no direct effect upon?

PostCode

Major contributor!
Leslie said:
a) Posty, I love your sig!
b) Everyone remember to feel the love ;)

Are you experiencing these effects? Isn't there some kinda surgery where they can staple em' back up er somthin? :lol: