nifty mail trick

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i got this from my local LUG mailing-list, pretty nifty if your smtp server has it turned on. if you have an email address [email protected], you can use a suffix on your username with the format +<suffix>, for example [email protected]. if you order something from amazon you might use [email protected]. that way if someone starts selling your email address you have a good idea who it was and it's a lot easier to block any spam. give it a try, two of my three main addresses took it. :D

I want one of those suckmynut addys....where do I get one of those? :D

That IS a pretty cool little trick. :wink2:

I do a similar trick.

I have one email on my domain. I have my domain set so everything addressed my domain gets forwarded to my defined address. So whenever I register somewhere, its [email protected] (using the sitename, like [email protected] or [email protected]). It all gets handed to my main glowingfields account. :)

Your way is cheaper though. :headbang:

tommyj27 said:
i got this from my local LUG mailing-list, pretty nifty if your smtp server has it turned on. if you have an email address [email protected], you can use a suffix on your username with the format +<suffix>, for example [email protected]. if you order something from amazon you might use [email protected]. that way if someone starts selling your email address you have a good idea who it was and it's a lot easier to block any spam. give it a try, two of my three main addresses took it. :D
Wow, neat trick! Worked for me! :beerbang:

mirlyn said:
I have one email on my domain. I have my domain set so everything addressed my domain gets forwarded to my defined address. So whenever I register somewhere, its [email protected] (using the sitename, like [email protected] or [email protected]). It all gets handed to my main glowingfields account.
i've been seriously considering setting up my own email server, the only problem is that i have dialup and i use a dynamic dns service to get a sane url so there's a security problem right there if my system goes offline someone that gets my ip address next can receive all my email being forwarded to the ip associated with nicholas.homelinux.org

tommyj27 said:
mirlyn said:
I have one email on my domain. I have my domain set so everything addressed my domain gets forwarded to my defined address. So whenever I register somewhere, its [email protected] (using the sitename, like [email protected] or [email protected]). It all gets handed to my main glowingfields account.
i've been seriously considering setting up my own email server, the only problem is that i have dialup and i use a dynamic dns service to get a sane url so there's a security problem right there if my system goes offline someone that gets my ip address next can receive all my email being forwarded to the ip associated with nicholas.homelinux.org

Yeah, I used to do all my sites/email with a DynIP setup (about four to five years ago). Lots of unneeded hassle. Especially when I can pay for a server (starting at $30/year) and not worry about it. :)

Been pretty happy with them...all my hosting is through ATL. Very little downtime and quick support. The oldest site I have is nearly two years old, and I've been with them ever since. :)

one problem i've found with this trick is that many services consider + invalid in email addresses.

Back