nightmare, speaking of...

chcr

Too cute for words
Okay, last week I set up a new store. Finally showed the powers-that-be that it's cheaper to run PCs with terminal emulation than actual terminals and a server (honest). So they bought two more stores, which I had to set up this week. I had one spare CSU/router (we use Motorola Vanguards) and had to get one. I set up the one we had, our hardware vendor set up the new one. Got to location one, no communication. Okay, that haven't turned it on yet. I call my friends at Bell South. Why yes, that circuit is on and tested. I have them test it again (note that this procedure wastes hours of my day). The tester says she can test to her card at the store, but can't see my CSU. Now, I've already tested the cables, etc., double checked the setup adn taken every peripheral out of the circuit. Nothing. Went back and got the second CSU (another hour and fifteen minutes), hook it up and same shit. Well, I must have two bad CSUs because there is nothing wrong with Bell South's circuit. Yeah, right. I call tech support from the hardware vendor, we walk through all the settings again (he's set up the new one with the wrong IP, but that's easy to fix), everything appears to be correct (note that we're well into day two of a half day job at this point). I take both CSUs to location two. Hook up the one meant for that store. UPlink comes right on, downlink does not work. Silly me, I hook up the one for the first store and SUCCESS! They have reversed the PIDs for the downlink. I conference in tech support and Bell South, show them that both CSUs work, and ask them again what is wrong with the other circuit. This pretty much ends day two. Most of Friday was spent with them re-engineering the circuit (they built it wrong) with me on site to check stuff for them once an hour or so. I don't work for Bell South, and I certainly don't get paid what their techs get paid. What a f*cking nightmare. So now I have basically three days worth of work piled on my desk waiting for Monday morning. :)

Mirlyn

chcr said:
Okay, last week I set up a new store. Finally showed the powers-that-be that it's cheaper to run PCs with terminal emulation than actual terminals and a server (honest). So they bought two more stores, which I had to set up this week. I had one spare CSU/router (we use Motorola Vanguards) and had to get one. I set up the one we had, our hardware vendor set up the new one. Got to location one, no communication. Okay, that haven't turned it on yet. I call my friends at Bell South. Why yes, that circuit is on and tested. I have them test it again (note that this procedure wastes hours of my day). The tester says she can test to her card at the store, but can't see my CSU. Now, I've already tested the cables, etc., double checked the setup adn taken every peripheral out of the circuit. Nothing. Went back and got the second CSU (another hour and fifteen minutes), hook it up and same shit. Well, I must have two bad CSUs because there is nothing wrong with Bell South's circuit. Yeah, right. I call tech support from the hardware vendor, we walk through all the settings again (he's set up the new one with the wrong IP, but that's easy to fix), everything appears to be correct (note that we're well into day two of a half day job at this point). I take both CSUs to location two. Hook up the one meant for that store. UPlink comes right on, downlink does not work. Silly me, I hook up the one for the first store and SUCCESS! They have reversed the PIDs for the downlink. I conference in tech support and Bell South, show them that both CSUs work, and ask them again what is wrong with the other circuit. This pretty much ends day two. Most of Friday was spent with them re-engineering the circuit (they built it wrong) with me on site to check stuff for them once an hour or so. I don't work for Bell South, and I certainly don't get paid what their techs get paid. What a f*cking nightmare. So now I have basically three days worth of work piled on my desk waiting for Monday morning. :)
Pssst....get drunk this weekend. :D

Get this, our circuit went down in a storm at 11:30pm. After six very-pissed off phone calls, we finally had someone out at 4:30am to look at it. Ended up frying both circuits at the drop and at the house. The line was put in three or four days earlier. So much for 99.999% uptime. :rolleyes: