No more DeLays, he's out.

rrfield

WASHINGTON — Facing money laundering charges and a tough re-election in November, former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay announced Tuesday he will not run for office again and not finish his current term.

The 11-term Texas Republican was releasing a video news release to his constituents Tuesday in which he lists his accomplishments and then explains his decision to vacate his seat.

"After many weeks of personal prayerful thinking and analysis, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to close this public service chapter of my life. It’s time to begin opening new chapters and pursuing new opportunities to engage in the important cultural and political battles of our day from outside the arena of the U.S. House of Representatives," he says in the video.

"I refuse to allow liberal Democrats an opportunity to steal this seat with a negative, personal campaign," he adds.

In his first public interview since breaking the news, DeLay told FOX News Tuesday morning that the political campaign to oust him had turned "very nasty," adding, "every leftist organization in America is down here in Houston."

"I just realized that my constituents don't deserve this, they deserve a Republican. I think I could have won this seat but it would have been nasty, it would have cost a fortune to do it," he said. "The challenge has always been in the interest of the constituents' cause and the Republican majority. I'm more interested in growing the Republican majority than my own future."

link

What the hell did they do to deserve a republican???

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Let the bloodletting begin.

I hope everybody is happy with the new model. It's the same as the old.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Problem is...unless they changed the rules...he still gets his pension of at least $50,000 a year. :grumpy:

chcr

Too cute for words
He did it. He got caught. Everyone knows it. End of story and good riddance. Maybe it'll slow down some of the other crooks for a few weeks but I doubt it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
He did what? There was no law against political money maneuvering. There still isn't...on the federal level.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
this is why I love politics

Posted: April 5, 2006
2:03 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Rep. Cynthia McKinney

One day after announcing he would resign this summer from Congress, former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said he's prepared to file an ethics charge against Rep. Cynthia McKinney, who is under investigation for allegedly assaulting a Capitol Police officer who asked the Georgia Democrat for identification.

"If somebody else doesn't file an ethics charge, I will," DeLay said on Rush Limbaugh's radio show this afternoon. "I am going to defend these Capitol Police. ... They are incredibly professional and courageous, and I am not going to let this happen."

DeLay also blasted McKinney as a racist who uses her color as an excuse for perceived victimhood.

"She is a racist," DeLay said. "She bases everything on race. Everything bad that has ever happened to her is because she's black. She's anti-Semitic, that's who she is."

Last Wednesday, McKinney was stopped by a Capitol policeman while going around a security checkpoint in a House office building. Congress members are allowed to bypass the checkpoints, but McKinney was not wearing her ID pin and the officer did not recognize her.