North American Union??

24 hours is hardly runnning away (work interferes with proper board arguments sometimes) :p

Yep. and today I enter a new phase of parenthood...the father of a teen.

I'm with Gonz on this, I am proudly Canadian (an no it is NOT an oxymoron) and would like to maintain my independence from our southern neibours

bleedin ell - is that Valaru? sheesh, seems like a i know a few people on here. (hello!)

Gonz - teen father heh? There is a sketch on British tv (harry enfield i think) where their lovely nice son wakes up on his thirteenth birthday ...

...and emerges a whiny cantankerous lazy baseball cap wearing terror ... they eventually ended it some years later after his having first girl ...

...he re-emerges down the stairs to the breakfast table the next day in jumper and combed hair, as pleasant and helpful as ****! :grinyes: )

goodluck!

p.s. - it is NOT my advice to encourage your son to have underage sex - just cus the teenage years are taxing ye! ;) :D

I don't know Southern- if my culture and heritage was under threat i'd fight back too.

Tired but I'm re-reading the Confederate Constitution. Yep, still looks awfully familiar. Even this part

15. To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the Confederate States, suppress insurrections, and repel invasions.
where have I seen that before?

Say, Mr Jefferson, have you met Mr Madison?
3. The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

What have we here?
4. No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

Oh yea, states right, here & now, Jacky, right here & now
Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States
Looks like Federalism to me.

Article IV, Section3 Paragrapgh 3... :lol:

It's a (partial) re-write of the US Constitution.

it's clear that that institution was on its way out. Dead horse.
It's even less clear than before. It's clear that theConfederacy intended to maintain slavery, forever. It was NEVER written into Mr Madisons version.

Now you gonna support me flying my flag?
No. I've made myself clear on how I think the flag of the confederate states representss treason against the United States.

Now you gonna knock off the redneck jokes?
Just as soon as I lose my sense of humor, sure. I don't tend to tell that kind of joke but one liners do sometimes fill the bill.

Now you gonna start slapping people who make hillbilly (to use your pet term) remarks?
No. I'll also not slap people who make jokes about California or the midwest ot New England. Hell, I won't even end Mexican jokes.

Now you gonna stop rolling your eyes when you hear an Appalachian Highlands accent?
They've never rolled at accents, unless they were simply bad impressions.

If the confederacy was still a viable option, as in active, then double standard would apply. However, that matter was settled 135+ years ago.

Discrimination...it's no worse for southerners than for any other group that whines about it. You can't please all the people all the time. :shrug:

As you wish. Just nice to have your thoughts in print for when I will need them later.

Carry on. Continue to don't mind me/mine. Ain't changed nothin yet.

To return to the original intent of this thread,which I grazingly addressed earlier...

One part of my brain opposes it, as I am oh-so leary of political liasons of any sort.

Another, stronger part doesn't really give a damn though. It would only formalize what is already in place....we carry 80% of the load, just would no longer be totally sovereign in our decisions. Klinton and W have been busy giving away the farm for 14 years now, so what's it gonna matter if it becomes formal? Mexico already dictates immigration policy. Canada...sits and does...whatever it is they do...thaw I guess...maybe some other stuff...who knows?

So we put it on paper. Decriminalize immigration. Save a few thousand lives a year, lose a few million in tourism along the way...big deal. It would grant our agents some leeway to go into, say, Brazil and take a chunk out of the cocaine trade....like that's gonna ever happen.

Course, before long we'd have to standardize currency I suppose. Trade deficits would be written off too I guess. Once the economic indexes from Mexico get figured into our average, it'll create an entire new poverty line, making millions more eligible for the tax dollars and Social Security monies I pay. Neato. Let the handouts begin.

Yep. Union. It's always for the best.

Deo vindice.

WASHINGTON – Raising more suspicions about plans for the future integration of the U.S., Canada and Mexico, a high-level, top-secret meeting of the North American Forum took place this month in Banff – with topics ranging from "A Vision for North America," "Opportunities for Security Cooperation" and "Demographic and Social Dimensions of North American Integration."

While the conference took place a week ago, only now are documents about participants and agenda items leaking out.

Despite "confirmed" participants including Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, former Secretary of State George Shultz, former Central Intelligence Agency Director R. James Woolsey, former Immigration and Naturalization Services Director Doris Meissner, North American Union guru Robert Pastor, former Defense Secretary William Perry, former Energy Secretary and Defense Secretary James Schlesinger and top officials of both Mexico and Canada, there has been no press coverage of the event. The only media member scheduled to appear at the event, according to documents obtained by WND, was the Wall Street Journal's Mary Anastasia O'Grady.

WND

All over but the shouting?

well, maybe I won't need a passport to go fishing in ontario (after 2007) anymore?

I never needed one in my entire adult life, except for the official government passport, until the EU. Before then, my ID card was enough. I've never needed one to travel to Canada. :shrug:

Back