Not one thread about Mars

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Not since the earliest homo sapiens were arguing with the cro-magnon has Mars been this close. It won't happen again in our lifetime. Is anybody stargazing? If not can I borrow your telescope, mine sucks.

Basic facts:
Closest approach occurs on Aug 27 at 2:51 AM PDT.
Closest approach will be 55.76 million kilometers from Earth (34.6 million miles, or 37% of the Earth-Sun distance).
At opposition Mars will be as close as it has been since the year 57,537 B.C. The next approach this close is 28 August 2287 A.D.
The apparent size of Mars' disk at closest approach will be 25.1 arcseconds, the apparent size of a dime at 500 feet.
Mars will be the brightest object in the sky after about 10 PM PDTin late August and early September, It will be found highest in the sky at about 1:30 A.M. PDT (from Seattle, about 27 degrees above the southern horizon.)
Mars appears orange in color. So do a few stars. But Mars will be brighter than all stars, and it won't twinkle.
Maximum brightness will be near peak brightness (magnitude -2.9) for about a week before and after 27 August. If you miss seeing Mars one night, try again the next. Mars fades rapidly after early September as the Earth pulls ahead of it.
For more detailed information start with these web sites:
www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_preview_021108.html
www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/32_04/delight.html
www.skynewsmagazine.com/pages/mars.html
NASA's general Mars information site is mars.jpl.nasa.gov
June 2003: - more web sites describing the Mars opposition will available shortly. Use your favorite web searcher to find them.

Viewing the opposition
Mars rises at 8:30 P.M. PDT in Seattle but will be difficult to view well for two hours. You can find Mars above the southeast horizon until 12:30 A.M. PDT, and the southern horizon later.
Viewing Mars: Mars will be so bright that it can be viewed well from almost anywhere. Binoculars and small telescopes will offer a better view, especially when they are mounted on a steady platform such as a tripod. Don't expect to see surface features on Mars unless you have access to a very substantial telescope.
Better views: Find an open location with a good view to the east and south. Get away from street lights and headlights.
Incidentally, Mars has two tiny and nearby moons, Phobos and Deimos, that are almost a million times fainter than Mars. Phobos orbits Mars every 7.7 hours, and Deimos every 1.3 days. The moons are not easy to locate without a large telescope, especially in the glare of Mars.

Is anybody stargazing? If not can I borrow your telescope, mine sucks.
Wish I had one. :mope:
On the upside though, the wife is in an astronomy class right now, should be the topic of discussion this week, so at least I'll have someone to talk about it wth. :wink2:

Gonz said:
Not since the earliest homo sapiens were arguing with the cro-magnon has Mars been this close. It won't happen again in our lifetime. Is anybody stargazing? If not can I borrow your telescope, mine sucks.

I can lie in bed, look out my bedroom window, and see a beautiful bright orange spot in the sky. Hey Bish? Um, can I have my telescope back dude? Or at least an invite over for some Mars gazing :)

I try to peek out and see it every night, but don't have a telescope. :( They say good binoculars will do the trick on the 27th. :shrug:

There was a thread about this :confuse3:

Whatever, i'll use my girl's telescope :D

*hopes there are no clouds in the sky that night

Too much light pollution here. And I doubt my dad is gonna get up and drive me 30 miles to get away from it :( :mope:

No it was here....I think it was in the RW and theres another concerning the leonids round 'ere too

Well that's what happens when you put your eye out without clothes, silly. Mine gets red too.

Back