Not that anyone gives a toss...

Aunty Em

... I discovered that the apparently 2.1GB hdd in the apple 120 is actually a Quantum Bigfoot 6.2GB hdd and fits into a 5 1/4" drive bay. Some prat made a 2.1GB primary partition and didn't do anything with the rest or so it seems. So having salvaged some of the files, I FDisked and repartitioned it. It now reads just over 5.7GB of free space. I'm also running a surface scan... so far no bad sectors. Great!

I also salvaged the FDD, cd-rom (although god knows why!), the internal modem (which fits in one of those funny long brown slots in the cyrix, and works!) somes 8mm fans and several doublesided sticks of edo ram, plus a 145watt PSU. Not sure what to do with the processor or board though, both working fine. Plus there are various little boards that I have no idea what they are...

But I'm a bit fucked off at the moment because it looks like my 98 disk is corrupted. :(

Aunty Em said:
... I discovered that the apparently 2.1GB hdd in the apple 120 is actually a Quantum Bigfoot 6.2GB hdd and fits into a 5 1/4" drive bay. Some prat made a 2.1GB primary partition and didn't do anything with the rest or so it seems. So having salvaged some of the files, I FDisked and repartitioned it. It now reads just over 5.7GB of free space. I'm also running a surface scan... so far no bad sectors. Great!

I also salvaged the FDD, cd-rom (although god knows why!), the internal modem (which fits in one of those funny long brown slots in the cyrix, and works!) somes 8mm fans and several doublesided sticks of edo ram, plus a 145watt PSU. Not sure what to do with the processor or board though, both working fine. Plus there are various little boards that I have no idea what they are...

But I'm a bit fucked off at the moment because it looks like my 98 disk is corrupted. :(

err just look somewhere for a 98 iso or somethin ;)

Not to add to your rage, but really i'd chuck that bigfoot so far it'd never find home again. I think its like 12-17ms seek time on those suckers, 4000rpms and a whole lotta noise, all mostly due to its large radius and form factor :sick:

gives a toss...
I'm a but fucked off

I'll never understand the way you Bloody English speak.

Hey, did i say bloody right? :nerd:

HeXp£Øi± said:
gives a toss...
I'm a but fucked off

I'll never understand the way you Bloody English speak.

Hey, did i say bloody right? :nerd:
:lol:

i have that same drive running in my gateway, it works fine since there isn't much that the disk gets used for. the stupid things are bombproof

tommyj27 said:
:lol:

i have that same drive running in my gateway, it works fine since there isn't much that the disk gets used for. the stupid things are bombproof

Thats probably the only thing they're good for :D The bigger than usual components must be why, not so delicate as 3.5in drives etc.. makes for one tough sucker, i have a 4GB somewhere here for ages now.

Thanks for the advice I hadn't thought of that. :)

If they want something bigger they can get it themselves... but since it's mainly for college art work and word-processing.... they'll probably wreck it anyway...

... this is an OAS system btw... obsolete and salvaged! :lol:

Hmm, you cant even use it for word processing succesfuly, i dunno, you can always have fun melting it or something. Its way past obsolete.

Well I combined the remnants of the Celeron 500 plus the useful bits of the p120 last night.

Celeron 500 MHz
ABit SE6 mobo with onboard video (quite reasonable quality)
128MB PC100 Ram
Quantum Bigfoot 6.2GB HDD
4 Channel soundcard
4X CD-Rom
Mitsumi FDD
Generic Midi Case with 300Watt PSU
IBM P70 17" CRT Monitor
Generic Keyboard & Mouse
OS WinME

I'm getting a new videocard in September so I'll swap the cards around and this will probably have the Geforce 2 200MX so that all the computers in my house will have ATI cards.

This means the cyrix 300MX is intact and with the internal modem can be used as an internet terminal.

Inkara1 said:
I've heard the things are a head crash waiting to happen.
Like none other. I've seen more dead than alive.

I know someone who wont' touch them because he broke the exposed board by plugging in the power cable. On two drives, one right after another. :rofl:

The modem is a Dataflex PC Comms Office. I found the drivers quite quickly and it works fine.

Everythings working with ME now except Katie.

No Luis, not the big hairy men that come out when its 20c in mexico, i meant the hdds :finger:

Ok, weird i've never seen em die, must be the bigger components wearing off faster cause of the distance travelled etc.. :shrug:

Back