odd thought on books...

unclehobart

This is a question that I've drawn up from a conversation that I had with a good chum this morning:

What do you use for a bookmark? Do you use a bookmark? What is on the bookmark? Is it an heirloom... something you picked up ... just something that was laying around? A gift from a friend .. or just a spontaneous knick knack purchase?

Right now my bookmark is a reciept for a book that I bought almost a year ago, used it in 3 different books since then.

I usually use whatever slip of paper that's lying around me at the time ... or I'll *gasp* fold down the corner of the page :D

I used to have decorative bookmarks I bought in stores but they would get bend or raggedy or they would fall out of the book and get lost.

Now I just use Post it notes, usually. That way I know it won't fall out.

Post-it notes or random slips of paper. Lately, the most often available pieces of paper have been from the Harry Potter daily calendar I got for Christmas last year.

greenfreak said:
Now I just use Post it notes, usually. That way I know it won't fall out.

I use those in my text books, the little 1/2" x 2" post it notes are great for marking numerous places in a book.

i carry a journal, so for a bookmark, i tear out a bit, and use it. i make sure to scribble on one side, so that i know which page -- left or right -- i left off on.

AlladinSane said:
I simply guard the page number on my memory.

Yup, me too.

I normally leave the book open, face down but seem to remember the page number most of the time. Sightly bizarre because I don't ever commit it to memory beforehand.

:confused:

I have a serious problem with finishing books that i start. My bookmarks consist of tearing off a peice of paper from the nearest source(sometimes another book not worth reading). I have about a hundred unfinished books lying around with bookmarks in all of them. Leah just bought me The Hobbit and for the first time ever i actually *Gasp, bent the page to remember my spot. I would never even consider buying a bookmark since they're $1 individually and i need atleast a hundred of them at any time. Not because i read a lot but because i stop reading a lot.

ipmoof said:
I normally leave the book open, face down

You... bastich! :eek:

If I had to chose between loaning a book to you, or loaning it to Unc, who apparently uses his dirty underwear for a bookmark, it would be a difficult choice indeed. :p

I use a Trojan .. still in the pack mind you. I do a good bit of reading in bed... fumbled for a piece of paper to mark it with .. and came up out of the drawer with ... *ahem* .. quite the unsociable little marker. I was amused at the idea of using a Trojan as a bookmark. I've stuck with it ever since. You just never know when youre going to need one or the other.

I don't actually need the trojan, atleast not for magazines since most of the pages are stuck together anyway.

Ardsgaine said:
ipmoof said:
I normally leave the book open, face down

You... bastich! :eek:

If I had to chose between loaning a book to you, or loaning it to Unc, who apparently uses his dirty underwear for a bookmark, it would be a difficult choice indeed. :p

Let me make the choice easier by revealing that I leave them face-down, in dirty underwear.

unclehobart said:
I use a Trojan ..

Something told me that's what it would be. :p

Anyone ever wonder why they would've given condoms a name that invokes the idea of a Trojan horse? It seems like that would be the precise opposite of what they would want... ?(

i always use the receipt for a bookmark. that way i know exactly how long the book has been lying around unfinished.

Back