Oklahoma schools segregated

Gonz said:
Maryvale?

Schools get the same amount of money per student. Most places require that by law. The teachers are the ones pulling "white flight" away from some of the schools, because poor &/or minority parents are less inclined to give a shit about their kids education. No point in teaching those that refuse to learn. Those that want to learn are surounded by thugs & hooligans (even 2nd graders know the score), lessening what education they should receive because of their neighbors.

1. Sorry, Gonz. Only some places require that by law. There's still a huge difference between the schools in the inner city and the schools in the 'burbs. BTDT.
2. If the school is no longer educating students, due to the actions of the students and the parents in the district, it will definitely show after the money evens out. The schools with the biggest problems get replaced by jails. They can even build to code for any future changes necessary.

What society, in general, has to learn is that you can't have a decent education without 2 things. Money, and discipline. While moving to a general fund is a start, the second part must be in place also. Detention, expulsion, and those other 'feel-good' kind of programs do nothing to instill discipline, and anything more would get mommy and/or daddy and their lawyers involved. If a child doesn't want to learn, or terrorizes those around them, then put them out completely. make mommy and/or daddy educate the child, and the only thing they come in for is testing. That way...if they don't learn, who's fault is it?

BTW...both my 13 and 14 year old daughters are taking algebra and pre-calc respectively, because I taught them one very important lesson...education is the only key to a successful life.

1. We live in the inner city. We also follow the scores & can trace poor & minority areas. The problem starts at home. When a 3rd grader asks the Principal "Whatcha gonna do about it" & the childs mother asks "Why can't you control a 3rd grader", there are massive problems.

On the other hand, the child picks up a book at the book fair & the mother puts it down saying "I ain''t paying for that" & tells the kid to get an eraser or a keychain or some other bauble, in place of a book, the problem lies in the home.

2. It happens all around the country & nobody is willing to talk about it because it may seem racial dividing to do so, the problem lies in the home.

Children of every race, creed & sex can & will learn, given a chance & with expectations to do so. However, without proper motivation & encouragement to do so, too many of them stop trying. We need more parents like you & fewer like the "I ain''t paying for that" type, but right now, they hold all the cards & until our school districts are willing to stand up to them, we all lose.

Gonz said:
1. We live in the inner city. We also follow the scores & can trace poor & minority areas. The problem starts at home. When a 3rd grader asks the Principal "Whatcha gonna do about it" & the childs mother asks "Why can't you control a 3rd grader", there are massive problems.

On the other hand, the child picks up a book at the book fair & the mother puts it down saying "I ain''t paying for that" & tells the kid to get an eraser or a keychain or some other bauble, in place of a book, the problem lies in the home.

We're in agreement there. That's the 'discipline' part.

Gonz said:
2. It happens all around the country & nobody is willing to talk about it because it may seem racial dividing to do so, the problem lies in the home.

The problem lies with feel-good programs and Ritalin instead of calling an undisciplined thug a thug. It's not racial, because it happens with all races. Instead of blaming the child for errant behavior and disruptive acts, the teacher is blamed for not having control, when the merest hint of impropriety is blown out of proportion. It also comes from trying to indoctrinate instead of teaching, but that's another thread...

Children of every race, creed & sex can & will learn, given a chance & with expectations to do so. However, without proper motivation & encouragement to do so, too many of them stop trying. We need more parents like you & fewer like the "I ain''t paying for that" type, but right now, they hold all the cards & until our school districts are willing to stand up to them, we all lose.[/QUOTE]

Gato_Solo said:
The problem lies with feel-good programs and Ritalin instead of calling an undisciplined thug a thug. It's not racial, because it happens with all races. Instead of blaming the child for errant behavior and disruptive acts, the teacher is blamed for not having control, when the merest hint of impropriety is blown out of proportion. It also comes from trying to indoctrinate instead of teaching, but that's another thread...
So, start one. ;)

I think we're in agreement that our schools are more interested in indoctrination than education, but I'll bet we don't agree on all the particulars. :D

Back