One week down..

Starya

One to go.

So, here I am. In England. And there is this one thing that has been bugging me ever since i got here. The question arose already at Heathrow, and has become the thing I find most difficult to understand about this country.

What the hell is up with those bloody separated taps??

I mean, seriously!

At first i thought: Ok. Old bathrooms. Not upgraded. I get that. Then I walk into a bathroom at a trainstation. Everything is shiny and new. With great entecipation I turn towards the sink.. Separated taps! Brand new! If I want to wash my hands I can choose to freeze them in cold water, or scold them in hot water. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Look:
vask3.jpg

One tap. It's a marvellous invention. Really. try it. Please.

Other than that, the grub is quite good. :lloyd:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
First you burn away the germs (make sure you use lye) then you cauterize the wounds with cold.

Starya said:
Other than that, the grub is quite good.

Are you sure you're in England & not some offshoot country?

Inkara1

OK, separate faucets are a little weird. You'd think it would be cheaper to have just one one faucet with two knobs.

Starya

Actually, we got a wee bit scawed on our first morning here at campus. We went to have breakfast, and got to choose between two major food groups: grease or sugar. Yuk. After that we bought bread and spread to keep in our room.

But, the food in the pubs is great. At least what I've had so far. Today I enjoyed fish and chips for the wery first time.
1251.gif

unclehobart

Perhaps its a sly way of encouraging water conservation. You have to stop up the sink and fill it up with a little of cold and a little hot. Then you have a set amount of water to scrub up and whatnot as opposed to people who leave a monofaucet running constantly at the desired temp. It could amount to gallons by the time they shut it off.

unclehobart

From what I am finding on the internet gossip curcit:

In the old days, cold was straight pipe pressure while hot came from a roof heating tank (pre gas/elec heating days) and the variances of pressure would defeat the heat side every time.

Old code required the lines be apart as there were concerns of contaminated growth sneaking back into the cold side and thriving.

Its retro charm because of the water basin days when people would fill up extenal bowls and go wash separately from the sink as holing ones hands under running water is a relatively new invention.

Running single pipes are hella easier than molding them into one... lazy contractor.

Lots of stuff like that.

Inkara1

Starya said:
We went to have breakfast, and got to choose between two major food groups: grease or sugar.
Ah, that's the old "English breakfast." You're probably more used to the lighter "continental breakfast."

unclehobart said:
Running single pipes are hella easier than molding them into one... lazy contractor.
Huh? I don't know about you weirdos in Georgia, but in California the cold and hot water pipes are separate until the faucet.

Starya

Inkara1 said:
Ah, that's the old "English breakfast." You're probably more used to the lighter "continental breakfast."
I'm used to the wholesome norwegian breakfast.. Dark bread, brown cheese, jarlsberg cheese, liver pate and mayo or ham. Milk or tea on the side. (That may very well be what's considered "continental" (exept for the brown cheese), I wouldn't know.)

Huh? I don't know about you weirdos in Georgia, but in California the cold and hot water pipes are separate until the faucet.
Same here. I mean there. Back home. :lloyd:

Raven

Annoying SOB
As an official brit I can say this.....if the building itself is old, you are generally going two have 2 taps on the sink, unless the owner has splashed out on new plumbing. In newer buildings, or buildings with aforementioned upgraded plumbing (like my comfy cosy bombsite), will have one faucet with 2 taps.

Oh....and unless you see a bath in the room it ain't a bathroom it's a toilet dammit!