Only 8% of Americans Want the Current Members of Congress Re-Elected

Gotholic

Few Want Members of Congress Re-Elected, Poll Finds

Jonathan D. Salant Jonathan D. Salant – Fri Feb 12, 4:53 pm ET

Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Just 8 percent of Americans want the members of Congress re-elected, according to a CBS News-New York Times poll taken nine months before roughly one-third of the Senate and the entire House face voters.

The Feb. 5-10 survey found 81 percent of respondents saying the lawmakers shouldn’t receive another term.

By 80 percent to 13 percent, Americans said members of Congress are more interested in serving special interests than the people they represent.

Also, 75 percent disapproved of the job Congress is doing, the highest level since 74 percent said they disapproved in October 2008. Congress’s job approval rating was 15 percent in the current survey; it was 12 percent in October 2008.

The new poll of 1,084 adults had a margin of error of plus- or-minus 3 percentage points.

Half of those surveyed said they wanted to abolish the filibuster in the U.S. Senate, the procedural move by which bills can be stalled unless 60 lawmakers vote to shut off debate, while 44 percent disagreed.

The job President Barack Obama is doing was approved of by 46 percent; disapproving were 45 percent. In a December CBS-New York Times poll, his approval rating was 50 percent, while 39 percent disapproved.

Understanding People

In the new poll, 60 percent of respondents said Obama understood people like themselves, compared with 42 percent for congressional Democrats and 35 percent for congressional Republicans.

Still, 52 percent said they disapproved of the way Obama is handling the economy, while 42 percent approved. And 55 percent said they disapproved of his handling of the health-care issue, while 35 percent approved.

Another poll released today also showed electoral discontent. The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey found that 31 percent of U.S. voters don’t want their representative to Congress re-elected. That’s higher than in 1994 and 2006, when midterm elections shifted party control on Capitol Hill.

The Pew poll also found that 49 percent said they would want their incumbent representative re-elected, while 19 percent were unsure. About 45 percent of those surveyed said they would vote for a Democrat, and about 42 percent said they would choose a Republican.

About 48 percent had a favorable opinion of the Democratic Party, down from 49 percent in August, while 46 percent had a positive view of the Republican Party, an increase from 40 percent in August.

Obama’s job approval rating stayed at 49 percent in the Pew poll, the same level as in a survey taken last month. Disapproving of his performance were 39%.

The Pew poll was based on telephone interviews conducted with 1,129 registered voters Feb. 3-9 and has a margin of error of plus-or-minus 3.5 percentage points.

Source

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The only poll that counts usually shows most Americans look for names they recognize

Altron

Also, 75 percent disapproved of the job Congress is doing, the highest level since 74 percent said they disapproved in October 2008. Congress’s job approval rating was 15 percent in the current survey; it was 12 percent in October 2008.

The new poll of 1,084 adults had a margin of error of plus- or-minus 3 percentage points.

So 1% more disapproved, and 3% less approved, but the margin of error is +/- 3%. You can't exactly call something a statistical trend when the change is less than the margin of error.

Winky

Americans no longer have the guts to do what it takes.

Needless to say
(and heedless of the pols and propaganda machines)
Americans are roundly pissed at the government.

Sadly if by some magical miracle from above
everyone in all branches mysteriously decided to
start doing ‘the right thing’ people would be even MORE pissed!

No even knows what the ‘right thing IS anymore’
well some of us do but we aren’t crazy enough to
think it will ever be done….

It will indeed be a sad day when the Republicans regain control
of all the branches of government and we still merrily
race down this path towards destruction.

chcr

Too cute for words
Re: Americans no longer have the guts to do what it takes.

Sadly, not everyone agrees what the "right thing" is and the "with us or against us" mentality currently prevalent on every side obviates the possibility of compromise. Without compromise a democratic republic cannot possibly function and therefore it doesn't. It surprises me how many otherwise seemingly intelligent people seem surprised. I can never decide whether they're less intelligent than they appear or they're just being disingenuously obtuse.

It will indeed be a sad day when the Republicans regain control
of all the branches of government and we still merrily
race down this path towards destruction.

...and won't a lot of self-righteous bellowers be surprised.

Cerise

The consensus is that the "right thing" is not the current path 0bongo has taken this country down. :shrug:

catocom

The only poll that counts usually shows most Americans look for names they recognize

yeah it sounds like a pretty wide open questioning.

"Do you want the members of Congress re-elected?"
"Yes or No" ???

some I do, Some I don't.
there's only yes or no though....decisions decisions.

The thing is with a question like that is, you can spin it any way you want just about.

If I'm going to take a poll, that's really going to be looked at, I want it worded
so that there's no misinterpretation.
CBS? I don't trust them as much as I don't trust congress, for the most part.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Why is it when we don't all agree on what the right thing is, it'll not even get a hearing unless it moves left? In the name of compromise, I suggest all liberlas take 3 steps to the right. Put us back on track to where we, fundamentally, stand.

catocom

There would have to be a panel formed to see what kind of panel needed to be formed for that.

2minkey

bootlicker
Why is it when we don't all agree on what the right thing is, it'll not even get a hearing unless it moves left? In the name of compromise, I suggest all liberlas take 3 steps to the right. Put us back on track to where we, fundamentally, stand.

oh, so unfair. well, at least you know who to blame. and that's really what it's all about.

2minkey

bootlicker
no silly, blame the liberals, who of course were perfectly blame-able even when little junior cakes was in office.