Ontario

Jeslek

Banned
Just a quick note to those of you in Ontario, but it's official. The 519 area code is expanding. The new area code for southwestern Ontario, to be overlaid in the 519 area, will be 226. The new code is scheduled for implementation in February 2005.

That brings us to three overlay codes in Ontario

- 905 (GTA) has an overlay code of 289
- 416 (Toronto) has an overlay code of 647
- and now 519 (southwestern Ontario) has an overlay code if 226

:)

I've been laying awake nights wondering aboot that... :tardbang:

If I had a flying fig I'd keep it.

:confuse3:

wasn't that Alberta? :D

I thought northern BC was where they were getting on top of Peter Mans Bridge ;)

How goes the seal hunting in northern B.C.? :p [/quote]

Don't have time for sealhunting here,too busy gardening and getting a pre-tan :D

grrrrrrrrr this brings up my extremem hatred for the 905 area code.

I always thought there were 2 regions of the 905 area code and that it was long distance to call from one to the other. Well, it turns out that that is not true. There are ATLEAST 3. Hamilton, Brampton and Woodbridge are all in the 905 area. You can not call locally between any two of these three cities. To make things worse, Woodbridge is between Toronto and Brampton. You can call locally from Brampton to Toronto and vice-versa but you can not call locally from Brampton to Woodbridge or vice-versa!!! It is also local from Woodbridge to Toronto and vice-versa!!! Might I add that Toronto has a different area code (416) then Brampton and Woodbrideg which share one!!! IT MAKES NO SENSE! :yell:

This bothers me so much because it doesn't make any sense (I like things to make sense) but also because I al currently in Hamilton, my family lives in Brampton and my BF lives in Woodbridge! GAH!:mad:

Nixy said:
This bothers me so much because it doesn't make any sense (I like things to make sense) but also because I al currently in Hamilton, my family lives in Brampton and my BF lives in Woodbridge! GAH!:mad:

Just a note :Cell phones usually have a greater local calling area than regular phones. I can use my cell phone to call my parents and work without toll charges ,calls that would have incurred a toll charge using my home phone.Weekends are free minutes on my cellplan ,so if you make a lot of calls that would normally have longdistance charges then a cellphone may pay for itself.

It makes perfect sense. It's a long distance call. If you only have twenty phones over a 100 mile area, they're only gonna need one area code. But the call still has to pass 10 switches, which makes it long D. A call to another area code that's across the street only passes one switch, and is a local call.

Professur has it right... almost. Depending on the number of exchanges a call is routed determines whether it is long distance or not. :) And I use Lebatt Blue Line occasionally. :cool:

Jerrek said:
Depending on the number of exchanges a call is routed determines whether it is long distance or not.

OK, well, how does it have to go through LESS exchanges between Brampton and Toronto than between Brampton and Woodbridge???

Jerrek said:
Professur has it right... almost. Depending on the number of exchanges a call is routed determines whether it is long distance or not. :) And I use Lebatt Blue Line occasionally. :cool:

Not really ,there could be instances where a call to a phone a mile away is long distance ,but a call 10miles away isn't.To call work its LD(15min away) ,yet I can call a friend who lives almost an hour away and its not long distance.In fact I have to drive past work to get to his place?( .Its more to do with the amount of # needed for a specific area.With the proliferation of Faxes,cellphones,extra home lines(for kids) you run out of #s to use with a specific area code and must create more area codes.

Back