open to suggestions...my meal for tonight

Mirlyn

It's been a long day, http://www.msnbc.com/local/ksnw/m273155.asp?0ct=-302 (my bastard school and work) and I need something good to eat.

I was thinking about stopping by a chineese place and getting take out because I dont' know what we have at home to cook. Any other suggestions? I can cook, mind you, but it would be safe to assume that whatever I decide to cook will require a supply run. I won't be getting home as-is until 8:30ish in this weather.

So whatdya' think?

Stop at a steakhouse on the way home. Gorge yourself and go home content with nothing to clean up...

I'm freakin hungry, so whatever I get from the chineese place, it will be a large meal.

Squiggy said:
Stop at a steakhouse on the way home. Gorge yourself and go home content with nothing to clean up...

Haven't found an excellent steakhouse around here yet. There was one, but it closed because of road construction. Can't wait for warmer weather--I'll grill my own.

MMMMMMMMMMMM....fried won tons and egg rolls and wonton soup and beef and brocolli and cashew chicken and a poo poo platter......yeah, Chinese is a good idea:wink2:

Squiggy said:
greenfreak said:
Rusty and I checked out a new pizzeria/italian restaurant in town tonight, their penne ala vodka is amazing.

:confuse3: They cook the penne in vodka?

PENNE ALA VODKA AND SMOKED SALMON

* 12 ounces penne pasta
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 whole shallot, thinly sliced
* 4 whole Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
* 2/3 cup whipping cream
* Pinch ground nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped OR: 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1/3 cup vodka
* 6 ounces smoked salmon, cut into strips
* White pepper
* Sprig fresh dill

Cook pasta and drain well.

Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until soft but not brown (about 3 minutes). Stir in chopped tomatoes; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream, nutmeg, chopped dill and vodka. Increase heat to high and bring to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute.

Add pasta to sauce and mix lightly using 2 spoons, until pasta is well coated. Remove from heat; add salmon and mix lightly.

Season to taste with white pepper and garnish with dill springs.

http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/pennevod.htm

Yummy, gotta rescue my linguine bolognaise from the freezer....

a favourite of mine is spagetti with parmasan, bacon and mushrooms...

butter
chopped streaky bacon
sliced mushrooms
grated parmasan
spagetti
black pepper

cook the spagetti in plenty of salted water
meanwhile cook the bacon in butter until browned
add the mushrooms and cook for 2 mins(or until just beginning to brown)
remove from heat and add cooked spagetti
add parmasan and black pepper to taste
eat immediately

I guarantee you'll love it!

I had linguine in a Vodka Chilli sauce before (sauce from Tescos!). Very nice! Never mixed vodka with Salmon before though.

You forgot to get some Crab and Shrimp Dim Sums Mirlyn!

Going to a chinese in Italy is quite strange, firstly because they also make Pizzas, which just seems wrong. Secondly they have noodles listed as spaghetti and Dim Sums listed as Ravioli :confbang:

When I cook at the weekends I often make an extra portion for during the week 'cos there's just me eating as Katie has her dinners at school and I can't be bothered to cook for one. Otherwise I'd live mainly on TV dinners... Oh, hang on, I do...

Usually low fat ones from Asda's or Tesco's chiller cabinet. They're very nice except that they have too much salt usually ~ I really must cut down on my salt consumption... Their chicken or vegatable enchiladas with a salad are really nice. Asda have just brought out a range which have lower salt levels though which I'm trying out ~ Chcken tikka masala with basmati rice and italian style chicken dinner this week. :)

Aunty Em said:
When I cook at the weekends I often make an extra portion for during the week 'cos there's just me eating as Katie has her dinners at school and I can't be bothered to cook for one. Otherwise I'd live mainly on TV dinner... Oh, hang on, I do...

Usually low fat ones from Asda's or tesco's chiller cabinet. They're very nice except that they have too much salt usually ~ I really must cut down on my salt consuption...

Cooking for one sucks. I like nice food as much as the next person but not to the extent where I would spend a long time preparing food for just myself. Never seems worth it. As long as its reasonably healthy and quick then microwaveable or simple 20 mins in the oven food is fine for me. I am some what lacking in culinery skills but if its for more than just me I will make the effort to prepare something more interesting. Most of the time for me its pasta and whatever jar of sauce I have in the cupboard. Occasionally I'll spot something really interesting in Tesco's "Finest" range and spalsh out ;)

Back