Ottawa looking for way to can the spam

sbcanada

Unwanted e-mails about hair growth and Nigerian dignitaries wanting to hand over large sums of money are becoming so prevalent and invasive that the federal government is considering proposals to outlaw spam.

The amount of junk e-mail, or spam, increased by 200 per cent last year, according to the head of an antispam lobby, and it's bound to get worse.

"[Spam] can basically blow productivity out of the water," said Neil Schwartzman, chairman of the Canadian branch of the Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail.

"If it continues at this pace it will render e-mail useless, and I would not be surprised if people stop using e-mail," he said, adding that he knows people who receive up to 45,000 unwanted messages each month.

In an attempt to lighten the load on the country's in-boxes, Industry Canada revealed this week it is considering several moves to stop junk e-mail, even if that means laws banning the nuisance.

Solace from spam may be far away, however, as policymakers must decide whether it should be Internet service providers that patrol for junk mail or whether the onus for filtering it should lie with the public.
Most major ISPs use filtering devices to guard against spam, Mr. Schwartzman, said, but much of the junk manages to get through.

While most computer users agree that spam is offensive, not much can be done because the practice of sending junk e-mail does not break any laws.

However, a European study cited in Industry Canada's discussion paper estimates the cost of spam at $14-billion per year worldwide.

"Some [messages] are clearly fraudulent, for example promoting pyramid and bogus no-risk investment schemes," the report says. "Others, like those advertising 'miracle' diet and health products, are misleading and deceptive."

The paper estimates that about 31 billion messages worldwide were sent over the Internet in 2002, a number estimated to surpass 60 billion by 2006.

Spam represents about 30 per cent of all Internet traffic, not just e-mail, up from 10 per cent two years ago.

The paper notes that the situation has become much worse since 1999, when Industry Canada decided that existing laws would be enough to stem the flow of unwanted messages.
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/gtnews/TGAM/20030124/USPAMN

I seriously hope they outlaw all unsolicited "spam mail" in Canada. Would be nice only to get email from those you know, or when you ASK to be sent emails from companies. :anibang:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
What they need to do is limit all mail to folks you accept as senders. It shouldn't be too hard to write into the program. Just a simple yes, or no on the 'inbox' page next to the sender's name. No means immediate block, and return to sender. Junk mail in the physical box is bad enough, but spam is the worst.

sbcanada

Free Speech? You call SPAM free speech? In my opinion spam is nothing more than some idiot filling the mailbox on your house with dozens of crappy ads that you don't want. At least on the mailbox on your house, you can put a "no junk mail" sticker. ;)

sbcanada

In no way is SPAM a way of expressing ones self. All it is is people out there trying to get your money.

Gato_Solo

Jerrek said:
I have issues with any government trying to restrict free speech.

Spam is in no way, shape, or form, free speech. sbcanada is right about that. It's a solicitation, and any solicitation that is not invited is not free speech. ;)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
But if you want some more Free speech sent to your inbox, Jerrek, just post your email addy up here, I'm sure we could arrange for plenty of free speech to be delivered to you daily.

Mirlyn

Gato_Solo said:
Jerrek said:
I have issues with any government trying to restrict free speech.

Spam is in no way, shape, or form, free speech. sbcanada is right about that. It's a solicitation, and any solicitation that is not invited is not free speech. ;)

Playing devil's advocate...

What if I consider your opinionated statements as solititation of your views? Does that make you spam, and therefore uninvited and not covered under the free speech issue?

makes you think, doesn't it? ;) :p

What about if Canada outlaws it....what happens if a kid in Miami spams a canadian inbox? Extradite him? :D

sbcanada

:bgtup:

I think if they outlaw SPAM, it will be the responsibility of the ISPs to block it. Since hotmail is not controlled by a Canadian ISP, I guess hotmail will continue to be useless. :anibang:

sbcanada

Mirlyn said:
What if I consider your opinionated statements as solititation of your views? Does that make you spam, and therefore uninvited and not covered under the free speech issue?

Multiple copies of my opinion are not being delivered to you without your conscent, and I am not asking for a low, low payment of only $29.95 at the end of my posts. :grinno:

SPAM is sending email to a large group of people who never asked for it and most likely do not want it. You have a choice to read my opinion or not. :p

Gato_Solo

Mirlyn said:
Playing devil's advocate...

makes you think, doesn't it? ;) :p

What about if Canada outlaws it....what happens if a kid in Miami spams a canadian inbox? Extradite him? :D

Okay. Nice and simple. Do you subscribe to this forum? If you do, then it's not SPAM because you come here to read this. I don't send this to you without your permission (subscribing to this thread) or your consent (if you subscribed to this thread). SPAM comes whether you subscribe or not. It is in no way voluntary or subscribed to.