Ouch

PostCode

Major contributor!
toasted_cpu.jpg

In addition to that, the motherboard, video card, hard drive, sound card and one of the CD-ROM drives is hosed. Major power hit. The power supply is now supplying over 30 volts on the 12 volt line. Nice POS power supply.

We have to. It's all warranty. Both CDRW and the DVD drives are also hosed. Our insurance deductable is $500 and we can put together a system with newer parts for less than that. The only things that survived are the RAM, modem and sound card. We've gotta honor our warranty though. Shit happens sometimes.

Powmax is another one of those low end power supply mass producers. Spend tha extra and get something better.

I already have it.:)

It says that it is AMD approved.

This computer is using a Codegen.

If I could count how may "AMD Approved" power supplies have hosed systems. The companies we buy our parts from have discontinued the use of Deer and other low end power supplies because of this very reason. They're going broke from the RMA issues. We have to deal with this issue of systems out there now of course, but nothing but reliability now.

I have no idea how Codegen performs but if it's a mass produced type power supply for case enclosures then I wouldn't trust them any further than Deer.

I can see my voltages using the Gigabyte utility. They never go up or down and are within range, so the Codegen must be pretty good.

Not with the software that I am using. However, that is an interesting idea. I'll look around on Google for something.

I used to have a Deer power supply. It's either in my mother-in law's system or my brother-in-law's system. It's been working reliably since October 2001 though.

How old was your Deer PSU?

Back