P.F.O.'s

MrBishop

PFO - Please fuck off
A PFO is a letter that you get from a potential employer when your CV falls into their hand and they aren't impressed enough to keep it in mind or a post-interview letter saying you didn't get the job, but thanks for trying.

Just got this one:
I beg to inform you that the college has hired Ms.***** ******* to fill
the position for which you also applied. The selection process took
much longer than I had anticipated, and I apologize for the delay this
has meant for you.

We were very impressed with your credentials and wish you the best in
finding a rewarding position in which your obvious talents may be fully
appreciated.
I've got quite a collection of these PFOs over the years. That's job-hunting for you. I just thought to share the latest.

So...anyone get complimentary or nasty PFOs lately?

I've received a few of those myself but I used to write those as well. One of the companies I worked for used to get so many cv's on a daily basis, the H/R dept. couldn't keep up so I had the task of making up the letters and mailing them off.

I've never gotten one. Typically during the interview, they say something like, "We're looking to hire by next Friday so if you don't hear from us, you can assume you didn't get it."

For every job I've ever interviewed for, I've always been called back for a second interview or to be offered the position so I've never had an opportunity to get one of those letters. But I don't think they're all that common here.

I got 'em from about half the "no thanks" crowd. I always felt worse when they sent one. If they had enough courtesy to at least do that, it might've been a good place to work.

HomeLAN said:
I got 'em from about half the "no thanks" crowd. I always felt worse when they sent one. If they had enough courtesy to at least do that, it might've been a good place to work.
Beats the hell out of receiving no answer at all. The form letters with zero input drive me nuts. I went through the trouble of applying and writing a nice cover letter...researched the company prior to the interview etc... gimme some feedback puh-lease.

I did CV triage and interviews for a few years and the top-10 got letters with pros and cons about their CV/interview in my letter back. Anything past the top-10 got a form letter. Anyone deserving an interview got a call one way or the other.

MrBishop said:
Beats the hell out of receiving no answer at all. The form letters with zero input drive me nuts. I went through the trouble of applying and writing a nice cover letter...researched the company prior to the interview etc... gimme some feedback puh-lease.

I did CV triage and interviews for a few years and the top-10 got letters with pros and cons about their CV/interview in my letter back. Anything past the top-10 got a form letter. Anyone deserving an interview got a call one way or the other.

I think it's even worse when you've had the interview, think that you've nailed it and the job is yours because they give you that impression and then you don't hear a thing from the company. No call, no letter, nada. It's a question of professionalism from the company as well. If you don't hear from them, then they really don't deserve the time or effort. It's a lack of respect and it probably suggests they're the same way with their employees.

Uki Chick said:
I think it's even worse when you've had the interview, think that you've nailed it and the job is yours because they give you that impression and then you don't hear a thing from the company. No call, no letter, nada. It's a question of professionalism from the company as well. If you don't hear from them, then they really don't deserve the time or effort. It's a lack of respect and it probably suggests they're the same way with their employees.
The interview went well despite the fact that they didn't know how to interview. I ended up leading it where it needed to go. It's been 1 month since then, and from what I understand...they just hired her Monday. :shrug:

Next time, I guess.

MrBishop said:
The interview went well despite the fact that they didn't know how to interview. I ended up leading it where it needed to go. It's been 1 month since then, and from what I understand...they just hired her Monday. :shrug:

Next time, I guess.

It just wasn't meant to be. Just means that there is something better waiting for you out there.

Back