Pasta sauce

DJB

So I ran out of tomato sauce for my pasta, and decided to make my own.
What a bad idea.
I had a can of crushed tomatos, tomato paste, and a bunch of random seasonings... just kinda threw it together.. and yuck. :sick3:

Next time I'll find a recipe.

Anyone have any good ones recipies.. or gross stories of cooking gone wrong?

tonksy

DJB said:
So I ran out of tomato sauce for my pasta, and decided to make my own.
What a bad idea.
I had a can of crushed tomatos, tomato paste, and a bunch of random seasonings... just kinda threw it together.. and yuck. :sick3:

Next time I'll find a recipe.

Anyone have any good ones recipies.. or gross stories of cooking gone wrong?
so here is a rustic tomato sauce using almost the same ingredients...could you clarify what you mean by "a bunch of random seasonings"?

one can crushed tomatoes
one jar tomato paste
i/2 onion, chopped
1 TBSP olive oil (or whatever)
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped (if you ain't got it substitute dried garlic powder but add it later when you add tomatoes)
1 tsp dried oregano (i like oregano)
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

saute onion and garlic in oil until tender (about 3-5 min)...add the tomatoes and the paste. add seasonings...cook on LOW heat for about 10 minutes (covered if you like a thinner sauce)

if you like you can add a couple of tablespoons of grated cheese in the last minute or so to act as a thickener but i prefer to add cheese after it has been plated...and olives make a nice addition to this as well.

tonksy

here's another but you have to be able to handle a roux...

1/2 stick of butter (i said BUTTER)
1/8 - 1/4 a cup of flour
one cup of chicken broth
1- 2 ups of milk
a fair amount of whatever cheese tickles your fancy, shredded or grated
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

melt the butter in a sauce pan (it's uber important that it's butter and not some spread crap) add the flour, using a whisk mix the two together to make a thick paste...cook this on MED-LOW heat until golden brown. slowly and intermittantly add the milk and broth, using the whisk to distribute the flour mixture (or roux) throughout...bring to a slow boil...let sauce boil slowly for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly (this is important because this is the thickening stage of the sauce and if you don't stir it will get lumpy and grody) when the sauce has started to thicken and is the way you like it remove from heat and stir in the cheese and salt and pepper.

BeardofPants

The key is to reduce the tomatos.

Saute the garlic and onions first in a little oil. Add the anchovies as well, if yer making putanesca. Once they've been sauted for a couple of minutes - don't burn or brown them - add 1 can of crushed or whole peeled roma tomatos. Add seasoning, rosemary, olives now. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat down to a low-medium head. Simmer for 30 minutes. About halfway through, put the dried pasta on. That way it'll all come together at the end. Basil, oregano, etc should go in at the end, as the flavour will retain better. Mix a little of the sauce through the pasta before serving, so you don't get great wads of plain pasta. Top off with sauce, grate some pecorino/parmesan/grana, salt and pepper. You can add other stuff as well like capers and olives. Generally, I don't tend to, but a couple of olives get thrown in to flavour the sauce, and I pull them out at the end, along with the rosemary.

tonksy

BeardofPants said:
The key is to reduce the tomatos.

Saute the garlic and onions first in a little oil. Add the anchovies as well, if yer making putanesca. Once they've been sauted for a couple of minutes - don't burn or brown them - add 1 can of crushed or whole peeled roma tomatos. Add seasoning, rosemary, olives now. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat down to a low-medium head. Simmer for 30 minutes. About halfway through, put the dried pasta on. That way it'll all come together at the end. Basil, oregano, etc should go in at the end, as the flavour will retain better. Mix a little of the sauce through the pasta before serving, so you don't get great wads of plain pasta. Top off with sauce, grate some pecorino/parmesan/grana, salt and pepper. You can add other stuff as well like capers and olives. Generally, I don't tend to, but a couple of olives get thrown in to flavour the sauce, and I pull them out at the end, along with the rosemary.
rosemary? in a tomato sauce? you must be a kiwi ;)
*sniff...just like momma used to make.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
In my opinion, it's pretty hard to fuck up a spagetti sauce. I usually just make it somewhat randomly, sometimes I use paste, sometimes sauce, sometimes just diced or crushed tomatoes. I like the variety though too.

BeardofPants

tonksy said:
rosemary? in a tomato sauce? you must be a kiwi ;)
*sniff...just like momma used to make.

Well, that's a patently yankee remark. :p I only use the rosemary to season, and it's an italian thing. :nerd:

tonksy

BeardofPants said:
Well, that's a patently yankee remark. :p I only use the rosemary to season, and it's an italian thing. :nerd:
you mean you don't add any mint jelly to your sauce? :confused:

i know it's italian but for some reason it isn't used in many tomato sauces in these parts.

HomeLAN

2 cans tomato soup
2 cans tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1/2-3/4 pounds ground beef
1/2-3/4 pounds Italian suasage (mild or hot - your choice)
1 package mushrooms
Minced or crushed garlic
1-3 cans of Budweiser
Other spices - see below

Sautee Garlic
Sautee mushrooms and drain
Brown ground beef and drain
Brown sausage
Combine all tomato products, garlic, mushrooms, and meat into large pot
Add other spices to taste (oregano, paprika, italian seasonings and basil seem to do a nice job)
Add beer until consistancy seems right
Heat, and continue to add beer to keep consistancy right.

Serve over spaghetti noodles or similar. Will feed an army.

Inkara1

My somewhat famous spaghetti sauce recipe:

Melt one stick of butter (Tonks said BUTTER), then let it continure to cook until it's burned. It will look more or less like soy sauce. Then add 1/3 cup soy sauce. Do it slowly and pay attention, it will bubble up. Stir it and let it simmer for a couple minutes. Then stir in one small (six-ounce) can of tomato paste. Stir it up until it's as well-mixed as it will get, and then hold warm on the back burner until the spaghetti is ready.

Use two pounds of spaghetti; it's way too strong a sauce for just one pound. Add meatballs if you want to.

This recipe feeds a shitload of people, and they will all be full.

Sharky

marinarabig0929.jpg

Sharky

tonksy said:
Barilla! barilla is the only jared sauce that we can use in this house...barilla makes me happy.

Il Barilla è senza dubbio la salsa assoluta della pasta migliore!! :cool: