Phew, I'm knackered!

Aunty Em

It's a while since I wrote any html or applets for a website but I've just spent the last 4-5 hours writing the code for my daughter's photo albums and I am knackered. You forget just how tiring it can be.

It took me the best part of 2 hours to sort out the navigation it just did not wan to do what I wanted it to do - it's not quite the same when you're writing on your own computer. Anyway it's now working and the rest of the albums should be easier as I can copy and paste the main elements.

If you wanna have a look it's at:

Katie's Photo Album

Jeslek

Banned
You are rather amazing. You're the first aunty / grandma I know that codes. My grandma doesn't even know what the internet is.

Aunty Em

Jerrek said:
You are rather amazing. You're the first aunty / grandma I know that codes. My grandma doesn't even know what the internet is.

Thank you. I don't think so, I don't know enough. I write some Javascript(though I usually search for a code and adapt it rather than start from scratch unless it's very simple) and VB 6.0 as well, mainly for Databases somehow i found myself going that way instead of into apps. I must be mad! Basically it's just another language.

In fact I've got a whole library of books on code, - SQL, C++, Java++, Java 2, ASP and PHP just waiting for me to get enough time to learn. I'm sort of wondering whether it would be better to dump Visual Studio 6 and get VS .Net. :)

Q

Very nice! I like the mouse overs alot. Looking forward to the next albums.:wink2:

Aunty Em

kuulani said:
I want an mom like you :santabng:

...my mom has a hard enough time saving an attachment in an email :D

If your mom lived over here she could come to me for free lessons in basic IT. I work part-time as a volunteer for a local charity that helps total beginners of all ages acquire basic computer skills, but they are mainly in their 30s upwards and mostly women, so that they can enhance their chances of getting work (this is an area of very high un-employment especially amongst lone parents). They're paying the fees for me to take the first part of my teaching certificate for teaching adults from the end of January - lesson plans here I come! :( It's a 15 week course and the second part is 9 months, but after the initial 15 weeks I'll be able to teach in adult learning. :eek: Bigger groups!

We also help with jobsearch, CVs, applications forms, and all types of letters concerning job applications. We also point people in the direction of adult learning, careers and benefits advice and provide the space for interviews. I enjoy it, it makes me feel like I'm putting something back into the community, even more so when they're successful.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've thought about doing something like that where I live, there are so many people that would like to have computers but are afraid of them. Plus it would be great for my side business to get a few more puters in town. :D

Aunty Em

Actually I'm very frustrated about the progamming side of things at the moment. I began learning VB 6.0 about 18 months ago but I'm really confused as to whether it is worth my while continuing.

I've concentrated mainly on programming for databases, but I don't know if I should change to .Net now or continue with the VB 6.0 until I'm more proficient and then change. I would like eventually to be able to write asp and php which is why I want to dual boot with linux so that I can learn to use MySQL as I believe this is the database most often used on the net. Some serious advice as to what languages I should be concentrating my efforts on would be really appreciated.

trinity2

I must say, it sounds like you have your plate full! I do hope that you can arrange some personal time for yourself. But I believe that you are the kind of woman that puts your needs far down on a list of priorities.
That was a fine website that you created. I'm going to try to get a site up with the limited knowledge that I know. I hope it will half as nice as what you did. Keep up the good work, Aunty Em!

:santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng: :santabng:

Aunty Em

This is just the beginning of this site, I've still got 13 years of photos to choose from, scan and organise into album pages. Plus the FAQS page to write and a history page, and all the links to other relevant medical and support sites to organise.

Then I have to get on with "The Games Room" - a site with lots of javascript games to play. Sort out my poetry site and update my fansite. And if they ever get organised enough to hand over the running of the Down's Heart Group site to me then I'll be updating that one too. Plus my brothers star Trek Gamers site of course. That should keep me busy for a while. :)

Jeslek

Banned
Go with ASP, SQL and Java ;) ASP because its basically VB, SQL just because I'm a SQL jockey, and Java because its the best language out there to teach people how to program with. ;)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ASP is slowly dying, even this board software is made in PHP ;)

PHP is like plain C, and learning Jave if you already know the C syntax is very easy.

And yes, SQL is always a nice plus.