photoshop...

maUru

WHY THE HELL can't photoshop handle a simple 170mb, 400dpi image....im on a 500meg 2ghz machine PERFECTLY CAPABLE of handling such a file even WITHOUT the 120gb hard disks as scratch disks...

another reason corel photopaint kicks photoshops ass, you hear that you photoshop lovers....your beloved program SUCKS!!

hi, im new here

hi...you might need to wait on kawaii to answer your questions...he's the resident expert....but welcome.

Photoshop only supports images 2 GB in size with a maximum dimension of 30,000 pixels by 30,000 pixels. What are the dimensions of the beastly pic you're working on?

maUru said:
WHY THE HELL can't photoshop handle a simple 170mb, 400dpi image....im on a 500meg 2ghz machine PERFECTLY CAPABLE of handling such a file even WITHOUT the 120gb hard disks as scratch disks...

another reason corel photopaint kicks photoshops ass, you hear that you photoshop lovers....your beloved program SUCKS!!

hi, im new here
This doesn't look like a question to me, more like a statement combined with verbal assault against my photo editing program of choice.
But yes, Photoshop demands quite a bit of resources. What are the dimensions of your pic?

although ive resolved the problem with corel, the pic is a (relatively) small one in my line of work....A2 paper size which is about 60cm x 40cm (24" x 16") and at 400dpi that works out to...9600x6400....not that big now is it, a simple TIF...scanned on an A0 scanner

system is as said: 512mb, 2.2ghz athlon, 120gb harddisk with a 3gig scratch drive /just/ for photoshop

~400mb is free on the system when running photoshop, and photoshop itself is set to use 80% of memory available

tonks said:
hi...you might need to wait on kawaii to answer your questions...he's the resident expert....but welcome.

:hmm:

I think you should stay with corel cause theres obviously something you're doing wrong in PhotoShop. I've worked on files that large many times without problems. :shrug:

Squiggy said:
:hmm:

I think you should stay with corel cause theres obviously something you're doing wrong in PhotoShop. I've worked on files that large many times without problems. :shrug:

the real weird thing is, that i just tried to open the same file on 3 different computers with no success....and i once opened a 1.5gig, 1200 dpi TIF on one of them in photoshop (albeit photoshop 6 not 7 or CS)

i think i might try and open the file (resized to a smaller file with corel because the RIP program couldnt handle the file either) in photoshop, and try to resize it to 170mb...see if it was just the file acting up...

Having pondered it further, I would have to say the file itself was buggered. Let us know, if you would.

Back