Pick a lake and lets go ice fishing this winter...

Jeslek

Banned
:D Manitoba

Don't ask where the roads are, there aren't any. :p

Attachment(s):

manitoba2.jpg, 295.90kb

149_1036028826.jpg

Nope, tried ice fishing once. Never again will I cut a hole in the middle of a lake just to sit there freezing my ass off. I'm think Luis can probably hook me up with a lake down there this winter.

You just head to the northeast to the Wivenhoe. That surely doesn't have any special meaning, now does it?

unclehobart said:
If I lived in Munk... where the hell would I go shopping? Is all currency based upon beaver pelts up there?
:eek6:

only if you got some of them purty beads :p

Leslie said:
unclehobart said:
If I lived in Munk... where the hell would I go shopping? Is all currency based upon beaver pelts up there?
:eek6:

only if you got some of them purty beads :p
I'm serious, Les. I even went to the official Manitoba info/tourism site and typed Munk into the search bar... it said 'no documents matched' .. I was staggered. Churchill is rather largely displayed on Manitoba maps.. and it has a full time pop of only 800-900. Munk must be a frickin dot with only 50-100. There doesnt seem to be any way to get there without a helicopter or a three week hike.

they're likely fly-in communities, no doubt, but they've progressed along with the rest of us.

If I had the $$ to fly out there I would SO go ice fishing with you Spirit!

Living everyday life in snow is not my cup of tea but winter activities are my fav. Ice skating, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, I can't remember when I went ice fishing cause I was very young but I'm sure I'd love that too!

Indeed. Its either a modern getaway with some decent amenities, a self sustained native collective, or a mere geographic center of some serious homesteaders out in the brush. In any case, getting supplies must be a serious undertaking at any time of year. Fuel costs must be staggering. Just imagine running out of salt in early december and having to tough it out till spring thaw or finding enough stuff that you need to justify the base cost of a bush pilot. I dare say most up there would be on a budget and can only make the odd trek to the city for supplies. I just cant find any info.

Scratch that. I just found a much better map through Leslies link. Munk is on a rail line. Still no idea whats there... but supply issues are no longer a mystery.

From what I can find on the web. Munk is merely the name of a railstop with no real population or government. Its just a drop point for the post and goods and people for all of the thinly scattered population that lives within 50km of it. That seems to be the standard along the entire rail line. Look at LLs map and you will see a straight line of these mini/non town rail stops.

That lake looks good.

Upon further refelction:
Sit on a frozen lake in the middle of a Canadian winter, 100mph winds whistling thrugh the leafless trees, waiting for a 4oz perch to bite, all the whilewondering about LL snowballing with someone, *shivers*, waiting for an Arctic front to passs & dump 14, 20, 36" of snow on teh alredy frozen & buried non-existent roads so going home is improbable & you'll most likely die there, after you've pretended to be a Brazilian soccer player with your fishing buddies & hoping without hope you're only havinga nightmare;

or;

sit in a thermostatically controlled environ, waiting for spring to arive & playing on the computer until that happens.

I'll take the latter. :D

Back