Place your hand on the bible and repeat after me

Inkara1 said:
The court does have an alternate oath for those who refuse to swear on the Bible, though.

not really although it is called perjury and you can be arrested for it.

I'm trying to remember which celebrity it was (I think Frank Zappa, but don't quote me on it) I saw on TV once refusing to swear on the bible, so the court staff had to get the stuff for the alternate oath. The court system would have to have one, since forced swearing on the Bible could be construed as an infringement on someone's civil liberties as much as being forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance could be.

Inkara1 said:
I'm trying to remember which celebrity it was (I think Frank Zappa, but don't quote me on it) I saw on TV once refusing to swear on the bible, so the court staff had to get the stuff for the alternate oath. The court system would have to have one, since forced swearing on the Bible could be construed as an infringement on someone's civil liberties as much as being forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance could be.

See, my feeling was (and is) that I'm not going to lie. If it makes you feel better for me to swear on a book, it's no skin off my nose.

Sure, but you know how some people claim to be offended, shocked, belittled, etc. by having to do anything that could be even remotely seen as religious. And we all know how many laywers are waiting to cash in on that.

he won't win... I suspect the justices will refrain from making a decision on this case by claiming that Newdow cannot bring the suit due to the fact that he doesn't have legal custody of the child, his ex-partner does

that's certainly easier than tackling a constitutional question during an election year :rolleyes:

AlphaTroll said:
It would then only be applicable to those who hold the Bible as a holy book - so would that then mean that those who aren't religious or not Christian can lie as they see fit?

Considering that Christanity, Judaism, and Islam all follow the same God, and have, at their core, the same laws, then only those who do not believe in the Islamic/Judao-Christian ideas of lies would be prone to say anything they like without fear of retribution...besides perjury, if they're caught...

Gato_Solo said:
Considering that Christanity, Judaism, and Islam all follow the same God, and have, at their core, the same laws, then only those who do not believe in the Islamic/Judao-Christian ideas of lies would be prone to say anything they like without fear of retribution...besides perjury, if they're caught...

You know, telling the truth is not just about retribution. Now that I think on it, I find more "believers" than not clearly don't fear said retribution. :shrug: The only thing I'll lie for is to save someones feelings (and then only when I personally believe it's in their best interests, or maybe I should say does them no harm in my view).

Back