Please pray for Scanty's computer...

MuFu

Been spontaneously locking up all week for no apparent reason and I've been tearing my hair out trying to think why.

BUT, now it's been going steady for quite a few hours since I swapped out the memory for a prime stick of Crucial stuff. That MIGHT have fixed it...

Fingers crossed. :headbang:

*Going to my silicon alter, and offering up a sacrifice for Scanty's computer*

*Lights an Apple 2e on fire*

*Dances in circle, around burning Apple*

I've done all I can do.

PuterTutor said:
*Dances in circle, around burning Apple*

:rofl2:

Thanks PT. No one else realises that the welfare of my computer is basically the welfare of me.

btw...you weren't dancing nekkid by any chance were you? ...Just wondering... :brow: [/siz]

Um, not really, I have this little G-String thing made out of old processors. It's the only thing I can wear when in the presence of the Silicon God.

Scanty said:
Cool, can you make one for me?
:D

Well, you can only wear it in the presence of the Silicon God as well, I'm working on a second one now. BRB, going to go overclock that old 300 up to 600, should have it finished in no time.

The sodomizing bananas did it on the cuffs for a while. The friction created enough heat to melt them off. :headbang:

I had massive lockup problems and BSDs last year that were attributed to heat issues. The placing of the gear and general airflow was rather ill. Get in there and see if the cooling surfaces are gummed up with dust and whatnot. I ended up just taking a panel off of the side outright so that the heat would just stream out freely.

bows head in silent prayer[/siz]
Our Father which art in heaven,
Hallow'ed be thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
Forever and ever,
Amen.

unclehobart said:
I had massive lockup problems and BSDs last year that were attributed to heat issues. The placing of the gear and general airflow was rather ill. Get in there and see if the cooling surfaces are gummed up with dust and whatnot. I ended up just taking a panel off of the side outright so that the heat would just stream out freely.

Yeah, it hasn't got the side panel on at the moment and seems to be running fine. This isn't the longest it's gone without crashing though so it could still happen any second now. :(
Should it really have dust and cloggy-stuff if it's brand new?

unclehobart said:

New PC, mate. Brand spankin new PC (avec poncy 15" LCD) as a present from our folks for Mich getting good A-Level results. Runs very cool as it is (just a Duron 1.1Ghz, FOP32-1 - 'bout 30C idle, 45C load); I really think that the memory might have been dodgy or had some mobo-specific issues. I've tried pretty much everything else to sort it. Not many options left now so I hope it's fixed now once and for all. Seems to be running ok with different RAM in it.

fury, please don't ram my sister. It's not nice. :)

Leslie said:
bows head in silent prayer[/siz]
Our Father which art in heaven,
Hallow'ed be thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
Forever and ever,
Amen.
Our Father, which art in OTC,
Hallow'ed be thy head,
Thy headbang come,
Thy will rock on on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our dancing banana,
And give us our breastesses,
As we headbang with those who press against us,
And lead us not into spamnation,
But deliver us from sleep.
For thine is the website, and the power, and the headbangs,
Forever and ever,
Headbang.

Not is its brand new.. but you do need to peek in there to see what is directly above the power source. An old comp of mine had a poorly vented power supply with the HD parked one inch above it in an envelope that got awful hot and messed it up over time.

Back