Plextor?

catocom

Why are Plextor drives so much more expensive than other drives.
If they are that much better, what is it that makes them better?

Supposed to be more reliable. I've got a Samsung CDRW and have been using it a few years now. Burn probably 15 or CD's a week and have never had any problem with it.

I have always felt those things are way over priced. I'm getting the same thing, just a different manufacturer. It's not going to do anything this drive can't do as all these drives can only do what the standard permits.

There's really no need for a plextor, a liteon is everything you'll ever need.

Unless of course that liteon's quality had dropped severely in the last years.

Lite-on's still pretty good. I tend to use plextors on my machines due to the excellent support and low fail rates, and I use 'em in PITA clients' machines because I've yet to have one fail on me. Normal clients get Lite-ons.

I've got a Plextor 712a DVD-RW -/+ ,I paid about 149$ for 6mnths ago .Costco now has Plextor 16x Dual Layer DVDR-W for $169 . :grr:

My Lite-On has yet to create a coaster. Plextor is outta my price range.

I have a Lite-On as well, Never had a lick of trouble from it. I'm with Gonz, Plextors are awfully expensive (I do have that "cheap bastard" reputation to live up to, after all). For Christmas I got an Optorite dual layer DVD burner (+/-). I think it's the same one cat got a while back. It's working out really well.

chcr said:
I have a Lite-On as well, Never had a lick of trouble from it. I'm with Gonz, Plextors are awfully expensive (I do have that "cheap bastard" reputation to live up to, after all). For Christmas I got an Optorite dual layer DVD burner (+/-). I think it's the same one cat got a while back. It's working out really well.
My new Optorite dual layer DVD burner works pretty good by it's-self, but
I have some old 1-2x -dvd/rws that were burnt with my older toshiba 4x,
and the opti doesn't like to work well with them.
It wants to burn them at least at 2.4x, and the disks don't like it. :(

Also if I burn at 8x in it, the dvds aren't as compatible as if I burn them at 4x. :confused:

I don't know if it's the burner, or if all of um are like that, that do the same speeds.

Hmm. It's my first DVD burner. I haven't really made anything to play on the DVD player yet. :shrug:

catocom said:
Luis, i'm like PC, I'm more of a samsung guy.
I haven't have good luck with lite-on. :confused:

I haven't had luck with samsungs, they don't have burning problems, but they do have reading problems (especially some dvds).

I like Plextors just fine ...I have Sony Combo-writer, and a HP CD-writer in my rig.

...But wife's drive is a lite-on :D

HomeLAN said:
Just don't get Creative CD-ROM's. *shudder*
or a sony.

the last few optical drives i've bought for myself (about 3 in the last 5 years) have been Toshibas. They're pretty solid, they do crash and burn eventually but by the time they do i'm usually eyeing up a new drive.

Back