Poll: 1/3 of Youths Can't Find La. on Map

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
chcr said:
I disagree, Luis. I'll bet there are a lot more scientists who espouse a religion than there are that do not. Certain religions screw science, to be sure. You know how I feel about religion, but that does not make religion and science mutually exclusive. Hard to reconcile at times, but hardly mutually exclusive.

As long as a scientist focus on facts while researching there's no problem with anything he believes outside his office.

At the faculty, there's a big share of agnosticism and atheism. It is the predominant "belief" at postgrade level.

Winky

Certainly, those who are intelligent and educated
tend to move away from beliefs in fairy tales and ghosts...

no surprise there

hence the basis for Minky’s position that
mostly religious rural people under perform scholastically

But that was merely a dodge on his part to justify
the large contingent of under performers in other
categories

of course that ignores the Jews and Mormons and such

a more accurate determinant is socioeconomic level

iffin’s yer poor, yer more likely to be dumb heh heh

And what aboot them dammed Asians?
what's their excuse for high scholastic achievement?

Confucianism?

2minkey

bootlicker
Winky said:
But that was merely a dodge on his part to justify
the large contingent of under performers in other
categories

and those would be....? don't think i was trying a "dodge" even if you are suggesting what i thinks you is.

Winky said:
of course that ignores the Jews and Mormons and such

a more accurate determinant is socioeconomic level

iffin’s yer poor, yer more likely to be dumb heh heh

And what aboot them dammed Asians?
what's their excuse for high scholastic achievement?

Confucianism?

hmmm.... yeah maybe culture has something to do with educational achievement by what it prioritizes and what it excludes?

yeah, i think yer on to something.

probably why the authors of "the bell curve" only briefly mentioned ashkenazi jews and then ignored them... cus it's all biology in their minds.

2minkey

bootlicker
Professur said:
I'd just like to reiterate my usual stand. Without religion, you'd have no literacy, no politics, and no civilisation.

i think yer right to a degree.

but as much as religion has done to organize and, at times, mobilize groups of people, at the same time it's held people back. think about the church holding a monopoly on certain forms of knowledge until that dude martin luther got himself a hammer and some tacks and started contesting that shit.

what about the bunch of skeered-of-yer-own-shadow superstitious europeans of the middle ages. a period of mental and cultural paralysis that bridged centuries! religion was not a help there at all.

i think maybe it's not so much the presence of religion but certain forms of "totalizing" religion that dominate people to where they can't - and pardon the phrase - think outside of that box. to where they can't accept - even consider - anything beyond the orthodoxy they've embraced.