Poverty record on tap for Obama administration

jimpeel

Obama administration to set still one more record.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100911/ap_on_bi_ge/us_poverty_in_america

US poverty on track to post record gain in 2009

By HOPE YEN and LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writers Hope Yen And Liz Sidoti, Associated Press Writers – Sat Sep 11, 2:13 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The number of people in the U.S. who are in poverty is on track for a record increase on President Barack Obama's watch, with the ranks of working-age poor approaching 1960s levels that led to the national war on poverty.

Census figures for 2009 — the recession-ravaged first year of the Democrat's presidency — are to be released in the coming week, and demographers expect grim findings.

It's unfortunate timing for Obama and his party just seven weeks before important elections when control of Congress is at stake. The anticipated poverty rate increase — from 13.2 percent to about 15 percent — would be another blow to Democrats struggling to persuade voters to keep them in power.

"The most important anti-poverty effort is growing the economy and making sure there are enough jobs out there," Obama said Friday at a White House news conference. He stressed his commitment to helping the poor achieve middle-class status and said, "If we can grow the economy faster and create more jobs, then everybody is swept up into that virtuous cycle."

[Related: Obama comments on 'painfully slow' economic growth]

Interviews with six demographers who closely track poverty trends found wide consensus that 2009 figures are likely to show a significant rate increase to the range of 14.7 percent to 15 percent.

Should those estimates hold true, some 45 million people in this country, or more than 1 in 7, were poor last year. It would be the highest single-year increase since the government began calculating poverty figures in 1959. The previous high was in 1980 when the rate jumped 1.3 percentage points to 13 percent during the energy crisis.

Among the 18-64 working-age population, the demographers expect a rise beyond 12.4 percent, up from 11.7 percent. That would make it the highest since at least 1965, when another Democratic president, Lyndon B. Johnson, launched the war on poverty that expanded the federal government's role in social welfare programs from education to health care.

Demographers also are confident the report will show:

_Child poverty increased from 19 percent to more than 20 percent.

_Blacks and Latinos were disproportionately hit, based on their higher rates of unemployment.

_Metropolitan areas that posted the largest gains in poverty included Modesto, Calif.; Detroit; Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.; Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

<MORE>

Poverty growing in a depressed economy??!? Nah. Couldn't possibly happen. Next you'll be telling us that more kids are dropping out of school, more people are going into bankruptcy and petty crime is going up.

really? the numbers for 2009? i wonder what those numbers are the result of? :retard:

because certainly you reap what you sow immediately on a macroeconomic level. :retard:

so jim, i guess you don't realize that this is an indictment of the bush years, huh?

you really need to gain a basic understanding of econ so as to prevent this recurring foot-in-mouth syndrome.

we'll see. If you are correct, the numbers should start decreasing. If I am correct, the numbers will continue to increase.

Time will tell.

well of course time will tell. that was the point. the economy may go further down, but that won't make you right about... anything... the current mess we're in took YEARS to clump up into the giant ball of feces it is... who knows what is really going to happen? certainly not you, and my guess is barely better.

When the POTUS puts all his efforts into scaring the hell out of the private sector you do get immediate results. Same for POTUS efforts to encourage private sector.

This guy is hurting the economy almost daily.

1284412086384.gif

If I hired you to do a job
and two years in you were still blaming
your lack of performance on the guy that
held the job before you, I'd fire yo half-black ass
so fast it would generate an EEOC lawsuit.

Even the densest Liberals realize Osammies goal
is the destruction of the private sector, not many Americans
are behind that idea.

When Obambi fails, America Wins!

24v4lf7.jpg

if i gave you a job that takes 6 months and got all pissy after three weeks, i'd be the weener.

the fact of matter is that no one really knows how to fix this economy.

the stimulus did show some short-term lift. the question is whether the debt it brought was worth it. IMO some of the spending was the right thing to do. a lot of it was not. it probably had some part in averting a depression temporarily. the future, well...

Whew.....I was beginning to worry

1284995625120.png

All is well, the recession is officially over, it has been since last year!

To celebrate the House may end the congressional session three weeks early.

1279512210122f.gif

All is well.

Back