Power steeling went out.

Inkara1 said:
Is it like the shaft the balancer is on is bent? If so, that's really a surprise since crankshafts are cast iron or steel, both materials requring one hell of a lot of force to bend if it's as thick as that shaft is.

I really couldn't say. If i had to guess i'd say it was not the shaft but the vibration damper pulley that came loose. I think the vibration damper and the pulley separated actually. I'm looking in a book though and don't really know what the hell i'm saying.

From what you're telling me, the only further advice I'll give you is consult a proper mechanic. Odds are the balancer has already damaged the crankshaft, and possibly the bolt hole has stripped. If you're a good enough mechanic to pull the rad, and dismantle the pulleys, try it. But you're gonna have to completely remove the balancer (normally needs a pulley puller) and inspect (not just eyeball) both it and the crankshaft end. I've done that once before to change a timing chain, and I can tell you, by the end, a mechanic's bill wasn't looking so bad after all.

Professur said:
From what you're telling me, the only further advice I'll give you is consult a proper mechanic. Odds are the balancer has already damaged the crankshaft, and possibly the bolt hole has stripped. If you're a good enough mechanic to pull the rad, and dismantle the pulleys, try it. But you're gonna have to completely remove the balancer (normally needs a pulley puller) and inspect (not just eyeball) both it and the crankshaft end. I've done that once before to change a timing chain, and I can tell you, by the end, a mechanic's bill wasn't looking so bad after all.

You know the king used to kill the messenger that brought bad news. :D

Alright i just had a master look at it. Turns out it is just the harmonic balancer. Time to study radiator removal.

Back