Practical suggestions for my house

Sharky

Don't forget the outside shower with hot water. I put one in a couple of years ago. It's great for when we have been down at the creek and don't want to traipse through the house wet and sandy - just strip down and wash off outside. :cool:

Ms Ann Thrope

outside showers are the best! a good friend of mine has an A-frame in the woods near a sandy beach... the outside shower is good for washing sand off, sure... but it's best just before dawn when the sky is getting brighter and the birds are going insane :D

tonksy

Sharky said:
Don't forget the outside shower with hot water. I put one in a couple of years ago. It's great for when we have been down at the creek and don't want to traipse through the house wet and sandy - just strip down and wash off outside. :cool:
man...if i had an outside shower i'd never use the inside one...erm, weather permitting and all that.

kuulani

alex - I'm not worried about the lava, we know how to take care of our volcano goddess :D

... that outside shower idea is a great one!! my husband insists on it, actually. especially when he comes home all stinky and sweaty and salty from doing whatever it is that men do to get that way :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
kuulani said:
... that outside shower idea is a great one!! my husband insists on it, actually. especially when he comes home all stinky and sweaty and salty from doing whatever it is that men do to get that way

Psst...I think it's called work... :D

Uki Chick

Don't worry about painting quite yet. You're better off waiting a year to paint, put grass down, get the driveway done etc. It takes a year to two years for a newly built house to settle properly. If you paint right away, there are chances of little cracks in the walls from the house settling.

Uki Chick

Inkara1 said:
So he should just let the siding be exposed to the elements for a year?

No you can paint it white or put primer, but don't go putting all kinds of nice colors etc in case there are cracks in the walls and some plastering needs to be done. Why ruin a beautiful paint job by having to plaster over it and have to start over?!!!!

alex

I'm thinkin you would never get final approval on the house to close the loan if it wasn't painted.....and the neighbors probably wouldn't be real happy either.

Uki Chick

alex said:
I'm thinkin you would never get final approval on the house to close the loan if it wasn't painted.....and the neighbors probably wouldn't be real happy either.

Ok, like does nobody understand what the fuck i'm talking about. I'm talking about the inside, not the outside. Lord all mightly, has no one ever boughten a house before?????

alex

I've never boughten a house but I bought one once :p :alienhuh:

Seriously though, I understand exactly what your talking about but I beleive the house would have to be finished inside and out before you could get approval to close on the loan. You can't just leave a house partially finished. Also, my house is 13 years old this summer and it is still settling. I don't think it will ever stop settling...to some degree.

Uki Chick

alex said:
I've never boughten a house but I bought one once :p :alienhuh:

Seriously though, I understand exactly what your talking about but I beleive the house would have to be finished inside and out before you could get approval to close on the loan. You can't just leave a house partially finished. Also, my house is 13 years old this summer and it is still settling. I don't think it will ever stop settling...to some degree.

Actually, yes you can get approval and close on a loan in canada if you're house is being built. My cousin just bought a house that will only be ready in december. When we were looking for a house, the guy was not going to start building until our mortgage was approved etc.

alex

You can actually close the loan before the house is built? No final inspections to approve the quality of construction? What if the builder totally fucks up the house? Your stuck paying for it anyway?

Note to self - never buy house in Canada

Uki Chick

alex said:
You can actually close the loan before the house is built? No final inspections to approve the quality of construction? What if the builder totally fucks up the house? Your stuck paying for it anyway?

Note to self - never buy house in Canada

I'm not sure of all the details, but the builder won't start on your house unless your mortgage is approved. I never looked at the fine print or found out all the details since my house was over 20 years old when we bought it. I'm sure there are things mentioned in the signing with the contractor as well as the bank if there is anything wrong with the house.

Inkara1

I, for one, hate moving furniture, re-arranging, etc. Once my stuff is in my house, it's not moving if I have anything to say about it. If I set up my stuff in an unpainted room, then that room will stay unpainted until I move. Also, barring an earthquake, if the house is new and it moves enough in the first year to require re-applying the joint compound between the sheets of sheetrock, then the ground the house was built on never should have had a house put on it.