Pregnancy and Folic Acid!

Uki Chick

So, my sister calls me yesterday to tell me that if I plan on getting pregnant anytime soon, I should go see the gyno because I should be on Folic Acid before getting pregnant. I don't know how much truth there is to that. Supposedly it's used to prevent abnormalities with the baby etc. So many years women have been getting pregnant and having children and I've never heard such a thing.

Anybody know about this or has more info?

Eating right, and not worrying about how much weight you're putting on is the smartest thing to do. Too many women start losing it when they see all the pounds and stretchmarks, and try starving themselves to keep their wieght down.

Uki Chick said:
So, my sister calls me yesterday to tell me that if I plan on getting pregnant anytime soon, I should go see the gyno because I should be on Folic Acid before getting pregnant. I don't know how much truth there is to that. Supposedly it's used to prevent abnormalities with the baby etc. So many years women have been getting pregnant and having children and I've never heard such a thing.

Wait, wait. Paul's going to be the dad and you don't expect abnormalities???? j/k.:D

I never heard the folic acid thing before, but anything that can help is worth trying, IMO.

most multi-vitamins will cover all your needs in that category and other things too... not a bad idea anyway

they also have specific 'pregnancy' multi-vitamins over the counter

Get Bish to have his sister supply you if you're going with the vita-pregger idea. She's got a pipeline for about half the retail.

Professur said:
Get Bish to have his sister supply you if you're going with the vita-pregger idea. She's got a pipeline for about half the retail.

Hehehe...great minds think alike...I jsut finished PMing Uki with Fuzzy's number at work :D

BJ's right -- any multivitamin should take care of the folic acid need. And if you choose to go the "prenatal vitamin" route, I'd highly recommend comparing the nutrients between the prenatals and a regular multivitamin (think: Centrum). Generally the multivitamin will have more nutrients for less the price. All I've been told is the main difference is the prenatal's will have the folic acid -- but almost all the multi's I've check'd out have it too. :shrug:

At any rate, if you're taking one of those "big" horsepill vitamins, Break it in half and take both halves -- digests better that way and you're body will get more of the nutrients.

I'm aware that there are multi vitamins out there for women who are pregnant etc. and I plan on taking those. I just never heard that you should be on folic acid pills alone. The gyno told my sister that we should be taking it 6 months before trying to get pregnant.

CHCR - yes, Paul would be the dad, at least I bloody well hope so. Of course I'm ready for some abnormalities to the child, but to a certain degree! :lol2:

Love you babe!!!

If you have a lack of folic acid in your body it can cause irreversible birthdefects (like spina-bifida) before you even know that you're pregnant. That is why if you're planning to become pregnant you should take supplements before trying :)

as far as all the articles and info I've read, the gyno is right. I would go and pick up some Materna (my preferred prenatal vitamin) and start it prepregnancy if you are actually planning it...It will have all of the folic acid blahblah that is recommended for before and during pregnancy. Extra iron, extra folic, etc.

the better the vitamin, the less the cravings. Paul should support the extra $$ in that case :lloyd:

Plus, the upside (for Paul) is that he now has a warning sign to look for that you might be getting pregnant soon.

Professur said:

the hot sister?

that will be my only contribution to this thread :p

Uki Chick said:

Paul. It's not my fault.

paul_valaru said:
the hot sister?

that will be my only contribution to this thread :p

I've only got one sister. :shrug:
I'm not about to comment on her hottieness-factor. Sorry Charlie!

Back