Prepare to gouge your eyes out

Like Prof said we've had to look at those ugly things for years already.
A fully loaded convertiable will go for $29000CND

well something was REALLY wrong with my 1978 buick opel. i had to turn the key to the "on" position, open the hood, and stick a screwdriver into the solenoid thingy, there would be some electical sparks, and the thing would start.

what was really cool was doing it a night, screwdriver in one hand, holding the hood up with the other, flashlight in mouth.

A former roommate of mine had a Buick that in order to start you had to tap on the starter with a hammer while while turning the key. Since that was normallya two person job he rigged up some coat hangers attached to the key so he could turn it while he was under the car.

They are quite small, safe and EXPENSIVE. I think only enthusiasts buy them.

RE the solenoid... either the Opel needed a new solenoid, a new ignition switch, or a new wire between the two.

RE the starter motor... having to hit the motor with a hammer is the sign of a motor that's in desperate need of replacement. I've used that trick before on a customer's car when I was working at Home Depot. Luckily, it was just starting to die so it wasn't advanced enough to need the sideways pull of the motor magnets while also needing the crossways bump from the hammer; just bumping it with the hammer got it loose enough to work.

LOL ... was it still in the car or redone as a lawnmower?

Still in the car. The company that sold them had the display at the show. They'd fit any Type I. They had one tor the bus too, but I never saw one installed.

Of course, they were from California. ;)

Back