Preying (Praying?) Mantis

MrBishop

Guess what I just caught outside of my workplace? Yup…a preying mantis. I’ve managed to get it into a nice box and it’s coming home with me to my son’s terrarium, where it’ll dine on hand-caught bugs and arachnids all all types (or whatever my kid can catch). ?

Ethically, capturing an insect and keeping it as a pet of sorts has two sides.
1) Cruel: taking an insect out of its natural habitat
2) Kind: removing it from its natural predators

I have issues with zoos and how they treat animals, especially when the animal in question isn’t part of a breeding process (Breed and release). I can’t see my way to seeing the same thing for insects, who outnumber us at about 1Million:1

Comments?
Suggestions?

First off, it's a predator itself. You just encourged it's prey to multiply unbalanced. Not very hippy of you.

Second, you've little idea of it's food requirements, and it's highly unlikely that your kid is gonna catch much of anything in a month's time, let alone what it needs.

And you just took it out of it's breeding population.

You asked.

But may have saved a Hummingbird
Mantis_hummingbird.jpg

Professur said:
First off, it's a predator itself. You just encourged it's prey to multiply unbalanced. Not very hippy of you.

Second, you've little idea of it's food requirements, and it's highly unlikely that your kid is gonna catch much of anything in a month's time, let alone what it needs.

And you just took it out of it's breeding population.

You asked.
T'aint a local bug. Normally not seen this far north except for BC and Alberta.
I've got the internet for the feeding and care of the little bug-er

Yeah, it is. I've seen them before on the Shore. They aren't common ... but they're stick bugs. Their whole point of being is concealment.

Back