PT/NFL/Samkon Gado

unclehobart

PT,

Tonks wants me to find out if you are pissed about the Chiefs letting Samkon Gado get away to the Packers.

For those who don't know...

Samkon Gado is a humble, smiling, young son of Nigerian missionaries... 5'10/225 ... running back for the Packers over the last 5 games. he is the 5th.. repeat 5th runner for the injury plagued Packers this season. He was a thrid string runner for Liberty College that only saw plays in two games. He has been going around the NFL as a practice squad body for the Chiefs when the Packers saw him and offered him a tenative slot for the occasional speacial teams play. His goal was just to make enough money to get through medical school.
To make a long story short, he's been making amazing plays for Green Bay (last week was his 5th start) and, among other good stats, broke the Green Bay record for the longest run for a touchdown by a rookie (60 some odd).
Gado is quickly becoming a household name in Green Bay (as well as my house- Samkon has the honor of being wallpaper on tonks' computer).
So...Is Dick Vermeil fuming?

It's going to burn them in the Reggie Bush hunt. I'm starting to think that the Texans are throwing games to keep him in their sights.

rrfield said:
Yeah, he'd much rather have Fumblo Gado than Larry Johnson ;)
like he couldn't have both, there is room for more than one on the roster. What happens if ol' Larry gets hurt?

Yeah, I am not sure if he could possibly be all that angry about letting Gado get away. Larry Johnson is looking like a pretty damn good back to replace The Priest.

With regards to Bush and the Texans, Dominic Davis is a damn good RB who hasn't gotten a chance because that team always needs to pass because they fall behind. I would think they would be a little more intrigued by D'Brickshaw Ferguson, the OL from Virginia.

I guess the main reason I would think Vermeil should be upset would be that they got nothing for him. Usually when a team has a talent that they are not using they trade him away for draft picks or whatever, that isn't the case here. Also, Gado is a good bit younger than johnson and injuries do happen in the NFL...you got to think about the future.

Yeah, but they also got him for nothing, he was a practice squad player. They get moved around all the time, head coaches don't usually have much time to even acknowledge practice squad players exist.

How can that be? The practice squad is what the actual team practices with...right? aren't the coaches there for practice?

Yeah, but I feel like the practice squad people are there, but they aren't really getting the attention the "real" squad gets. A practice squad RB probably is trying to get notice, but when a play is run, the "real" defense is what gets the coaching, not the practice offense. (note that i have no experience with this, just a guess)

It's only a 3 year age difference between the two, so I am not sure how much that should be taken into consideration.

tonksy said:
How can that be? The practice squad is what the actual team practices with...right? aren't the coaches there for practice?

The Head Coach may or may not see a particular group of players...that's what possition coaches and coordinators are for. I'm guessing that in KC, with Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson in place, Dickie probably spent more time watching other possitions in practice. :shrug:

Stories like Gado pop up now and then. Kurt Warner is probably the most famous recently, I think he was cut by 2 teams (Packers and someone else...) before the Rams picked him up. There are two types of players on the practice squad - players the coaching staff thinks they can develop into solid players...and scrubs to take a beating in practice.

woodman19_99 said:
It's only a 3 year age difference between the two, so I am not sure how much that should be taken into consideration.

Well, to be fair, there's a big difference between a 28 year old RB and a 31 year old RB. Granted these guys are what, 26 and 23? But 3 years CAN be a big deal with RBs :)

True, there is a difference in backs at age 31 vs. 28. One exception to the rule is Curtis Martin though. Had more yds (1697 vs. 1513) and TD's (12 vs. 10) at 31 than 28, although I guess this is an exception to the norm.

I dunno, I am happy with Corey Dillon (although the injury big has been infectious this year), but I wish we had a good young back waiting. Faulk and Pass are good, but they aren't that young either.

Back