Public education strikes again

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Listen

In a history class, talking about current events may be dangerous. Since history teaches what happened. Hopefully, using the prism of time, the whole picture can be seen. Although, current events can be a teaching tool also...provided opinon is left at the doorstep or all opinions are readily accepted & allowed. They are, after all, opinions.

In government class, talking about current events, in context, is probably a reaonable action. Especially if one can show the relationship of cause & effect.

When a teacher incorrectly quotes GW by saying,
"We're the only ones who are right. Everyone else is backwards. And it's our job to conquer the world and make sure they live just like we want them to."

then follows it up with
Who is probably the single most violent nation on planet Earth?
The United States of America! And we're a democracy.
Who has the most weapons of mass destruction in the world? The United States.

Who's continuing to develop new weapons of mass destruction as we speak? The United States.

So, why does Mr. Bush think that other countries that are democracies won't wanna be like us? Why does he think they'll just wanna be at peace with each other? What makes him think that when the Palestinians get their own state that they won't wanna preemptively invade Israel to eliminate a potential threat to their security just like we supposedly did in Iraq?

Do you see the dangerous precedent that we have set by illegally invading another country and violating their sovereignty in the name of protecting us against a potential future – sorry – attack?

and
If you don't understand the economic system of capitalism, you don't understand the world in which we live. OK. Economic system in which all or most of the means of production, etc., are owned privately and operated in a somewhat competitive environment for the purpose of producing profit.
Of course, you can shorten these definitions down. Make sure you get the gist of it. Do you see how when, you know, when you're looking at this definition, where does it say anything about capitalism is an economic system that will provide everyone in the world with the basic needs that they need? Is that a part of this system? Do you see how this economic system is at odds with humanity? At odds with caring and compassion? It's at odds with human rights.

Anytime you have a system that is designed to procure profit, when profit is the bottom motive – money – that means money is going to become more important potentially than what? Safety, human lives, etc.

it makes one wonder why this teacher, in America, is denigrating America & her President. It makes one wonder whether this teacher would ask a right wing teacher to present politically opposed viewpoints during the next lecture. Assuming not, one would wonder why such a biased individual would be teaching an American high school history class at all. Nothing like an agenda wielding 60's reject preaching to a captive audience.

Then you would find out it wasn't a government class. Nor was it a history class.

It was a friggin' 10th grade world geography class.

plenty o google matches for your reading pleasure.

The schools are for EDUCATION and not for political indoctrination...There is a big diference between voicing an opinion and programing.....

highwayman said:
The schools are for EDUCATION and not for political indoctrination...There is a big diference between voicing an opinion and programing.....

Had to mention it, didn't ya? Now they'll be changing the dictionaries to cover that too.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Or what some contrived to be events that happened.

Open your eyes
Hopefully, using the prism of time, the whole picture can be seen.
the truth shall set you free...look, it worked
all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free

The way I see it....
There has to be clear lines made by the teaching board(s).
They have some rules, but not defined clearly enough so that there's
absolutely no question as to what is acceptable.
Maybe whatever the boards decide should also be voted on.

Personally I'd expect to hear something like this coming from maybe a college prof,
but I think the public schools have to have different rules.

This "tenure" thing is stupid. Things, and people change.

I also though, don't understand all the people flipping out when-ever Hitler is even mentioned.
Sure he was an evil bastich, but before he openly decided to try to conquer the world,
he actually had some good ideas, and the german people liked him.
Some of the best scientific discoveries came from the german scientist at the time.

(guess I'll get labled as a neo-nazi now)

(Prime Minister?) :D

I though it was only if it was directed at someone in a negative manner. :shrug:

I'm probably more of a hippy-con. :hippy: :p

If Jay "says" he want his students to question what he says, why
is he so upset that Sean Allen did?

Typical "radical" left response?
No he Really didn't want any questioning, just agreement.

He's a lier all the way around.

Back