Puhlease...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
WASHINGTON — Susan Brown Campbell doesn’t consider herself a threat to the friendly skies. But a steak knife mistakenly left in her shoulder bag before a July flight from Baltimore thrust her in the position of defending herself to federal security officials — and slapped with a $300 fine.

How many times must the news talk about some idiot trying to bring a knife/boxcutter/etc onto a plane before they get the message? They knew the law, and they should've checked their carry-on's beforehand...

Boneheads... :mad:

A.B.Normal

How do you even mistakenly have a steak knife in your purse in the first place,I mean a set of toenail clippers possibly ,but a freakin steak knife :rolleyes:

Gato_Solo

A.B.Normal said:
How do you even mistakenly have a steak knife in your purse in the first place,I mean a set of toenail clippers possibly ,but a freakin steak knife :rolleyes:

And now she's mad because she has to pay a fine. [Bugs Bunny] What a maroon...[Bugs Bunny]

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Can we hurry & win the war on terrorism so we can go back to some semblence of common sense? The law says no knives...instead of $300. fines on someone that made a mistake just throw it in the trash. :rolleyes:

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
Can we hurry & win the war on terrorism so we can go back to some semblence of common sense? The law says no knives...instead of $300. fines on someone that made a mistake just throw it in the trash. :rolleyes:

Here's the deal. How many signs did she have to pass before she got to the magnetometer? How many people asked her if she was carrying any contraband? I fly quite often, and hear those questions and read those signs at least 3 times before I even get to the ticket counter. Is she stupid, or what, Gonz?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Since I haven't flown sice 9/11, to avoid these kind of messy situations, I can't answer that. I can ask that if she didn't know it was there, why would she look for it?

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
Since I haven't flown sice 9/11, to avoid these kind of messy situations, I can't answer that. I can ask that if she didn't know it was there, why would she look for it?

That's not the whole point. The reason you get bombarded with the questions and the signs is so that you'll actually get a clue and check your parcels before you get to the magnetometer. ;)

Besides...we're not talking about something that every woman always carries in her purse, here.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have to say, I wouldn't look. I'd assume I didn't have anything on the banned list & go about my business.

See why I'm not flying :D

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
I have to say, I wouldn't look. I'd assume I didn't have anything on the banned list & go about my business.

See why I'm not flying :D

I am cursed with the notion that, because of my appearance, I'm going to get searched regardless. I always check my bags before I even leave the apartment. When I do carry something on the banned list, I make sure it's in my checked baggage.

BTW...Did you know that military on official orders were once permitted to bypass airport security altogether? They had that in place for approximately 3 months after 9/11, and not before. :shrug: That all changed when old sarge blew up his captain in Kuwait...One bad apple...

chcr

Too cute for words
I just don't have any problem with a stupidity tax. If you're stupid enough to do it, shut up and pay up.

tonksy

A.B.Normal said:
i have a spoon in my bag....kids and all that...:shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have hair down to my ass & a FUCK YOU look on my face. If I'm wrong, catch me is a favorite game. I've always been pulled aside, it goes with the territory.

the bad apple = the muslim airborne guy that tossed the grende on opening night?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
:lol:
What could you do with a spoon...unless someone let's you do something... :rofl:

It's much messier than a nice sharp knife when thrust into the breatbone ;)

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
Here's the deal. How many signs did she have to pass before she got to the magnetometer? How many people asked her if she was carrying any contraband? I fly quite often, and hear those questions and read those signs at least 3 times before I even get to the ticket counter. Is she stupid, or what, Gonz?

The airports I am most familiar with are in DC and they all have craploads of signs. they even had them before 9/11. wasnt there always a fine for something like this even before terrorism was a threat to us directly?

Gato_Solo

freako104 said:
The airports I am most familiar with are in DC and they all have craploads of signs. they even had them before 9/11. wasnt there always a fine for something like this even before terrorism was a threat to us directly?

Yes, there was, but most folks didn't have to pay for knives with blades under 3". Any blade over that was supposed to be confiscated and either checked with your baggage (at a cost of up to 80$), or destroyed. Fines weren't levied unless it was a huge knife, a firearm, or some kinds of fireworks.