quarantining virii

BlurOfSerenity

as my previous thread stated, i seem to have caught a virus.
since no one seems to have noticed the questions i posted, i make a new thread.

ok, so i had these trojan horses, and i quarantined them, and i want to know :

-what does that mean?
-what does it do?
-what precautions should i take?
-are they still infecting my comp?
-are they still spreadable?
-is quarantining even useful at all?

here's the screenshot i took after i quarrantined them, if you're interested.
[attachment]http://www.otcentral.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=198645[/attachment]

-what does that mean?
you got a virus, now it's trapped and supposedly unable to do virus things.
-what does it do?
it may escape from quarantine during the night and eat your brain. or you could have a look at the virus databases at norton, macafee, etc. they have lots of good info about what it does, how to get rid of it, etc.
-what precautions should i take?
turn your monitor to face the wall at night. make sure you update your virus software regularly (weekly) and scan any email attachments and downloads before you open them, if the cat doesn't make it out of the bag there's no problem
-are they still infecting my comp?
i'm not sure, it depends what the virus does/did, i don't think so though.
-are they still spreadable?
once again, i don't think so
-is quarantining even useful at all?
i really have no clue, it's been a while since i had to worry about virii so i could just be talking out my ass

cheers,

Specifically, a trojan horse is a program that hacks into the inner workings of Windows, and opens up a port for someone on the internet to use to control the inner workings of the infected computer. (There are programs that sniff around looking for these, so hackers know which IP addresses to go after.)

Using this trojan horse (BackOrifice, for example), someone can--from thousands of miles away--open your CD-ROM drive, or wipe your registry clean, or delete command.com, or install programs to make your computer one of thousands used for a DDoS attack. Anyone who breaks in using the trojan horse can also download and view anything you have on your computer, including any schoolwork, pictures or dark secrets contained in a diary.

When the virus or trojan horse is quarantined, it's put away in an area of the computer where it can't do any harm. The point of quarantining is to keep the infected file there in case it's something important and needed, in case a future Norton update gives the program the ability to disinfect that particular file. If your computer's running fine with these files quarantined, and you've noticed no problems, then it's safe to tell Norton to shitcan them.

I would delete them if Norton says they contain a virus. It would be better to reformat if it came to that then have a virus. I'm not say ash needs to reformat. I'm just saying that those files should be deleted in my opinion.

Back