Question about religion. For Jews...

AlladinSane

I was reading the other day that the Catrholic church only defined the dogma of 'flesh reincarnation' in the 4th century. Before that there weren't a common interpretation of Christ's words. I also read that the ancient jews believed that a person that died could return to life, but didn't have a clear idea of how that would happen. That surprised me as I always thought the flesh ressurection was derived from Judahism. I'm curious then to know what is your faith about 'life after death'...

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
we have heaven, but no hell, it's really not clearly defined as it is in Christianity, or Islam.

Raised from the dead, I never heard that one, are you thinking of the legend of the Gholem? it is the kabbalah, how to create a manlike creature out of mud, and bring it to life, though it's not a great idea, killing sprees and such.

It also deends on what part of the word you are talking about, it really varies, in certain areas of spain, they thought it was jewish tradition to read the holy books, buy holding the books under the table, that spanned back to the inquisition, when they had to hide there faith, or meet an unpeasent end, so, till this day they read the books, by holding them under the table.

AlladinSane

paul_valaru said:
Raised from the dead, I never heard that one, are you thinking of the legend of the Gholem? it is the kabbalah, how to create a manlike creature out of mud, and bring it to life, though it's not a great idea, killing sprees and such.
No, i know the Golem stuff, that's not it. Let me explain better. As you may know, MOST Christians(I'm part of a chain that exclude themselves out) believe in the judgement day, when all people that ever lived on earth will be judged according to their acts. ALL OF THEM will have their BODIES restored to life, the sinners going to hell to suffer for an eternity and the pures living forever with their bodies. That's what it's called a 'dogma'. It is as it is, because 'it is'. Because the church said so.
I believe that most people always thought this belief was derived from old jewish beliefs, as Christ never said specifically how that proccess would occur. That's what I was amazed to read that this unbelievable concept was formulated 4 centuries after Christ lived.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
dogma, the whole infallibility of the pope thing.

and 4 centuries after christ lived is when christianity came into it's own as a religion, Jesus was a jew, and for the longest time what became christianity was a jsut a sect of Judism.

I think the whole bodies returning to life (I don't know much about it, so I accept any corrections) is a stricly christian belief, if it's not mentioned in the old testament, it's pretty much not in the jewish faith.