Question...again...=p

Anon

I just ran Error check on my computer and it fixed a whole mess of files...now, I assume this is a good thing. Question is...this is a fairly new install of Windows (like 2-3 weeks), is there any reason for there to be so many bad files? And is there anything else I have to do after the error check? Thanks :)

peterska2

i generally run a defrag after doing anything on my PC. not always necessary but a good habit to get into.

HeXp£Øi±

Most likely they're just fragments of data left over from system crashes or windows being shut down improperly. If you bought the machine new it probably came with a whole mess of mostly half ass software and these can mess with the machine after first being installed. In this case it simply needed the file system checked before the dealer sent you the machine but it didn't happen.
Lost or damaged fragements are usually no big deal but since it's new i'd run a surface scan before you go to bed to check for any bad sectors. Don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

Now that i think about it...i'm assuming you used ms scandisk. If you used NDD or Fixit Utilities my answer would be completely different.

Anon

I used the Windows Scandisk and there were bad sectors that Windows said it fixed. So, all is cool now?

I don't run SFC unless theres an issue, programs may add changes or update files and SFC might undo these changes and cause applications not to function properly. As for bad sectors, it may be bad data or a bad partiton table, but in most cases theres a physical problem and i reccommend you test your hard disk with its manufacturers utility and backup vital data.