Quick question - hyperterminal

MrBishop

Good afternoon,

We're using hyperterminal to capture and log outgoing local and long distance calls for billing purposes. I'd like to have an export to excel option. Does anyone know a third-party software or pre-existing code that would allow me to do this, beyond the old cut/paste. Thanks

deBish

I don't fool with hyperterminal much, but I'm pretty sure you can output what you want as text then import it to Excel. Just record a macro in Excel for formatting it each time.

Prof, got a question. I'll send you a PM.

Well, Bish is offline for a while. He tried to upgrade his ram and wound up downgrading his powersupply.

Professur said:
You'll have to explain how hyperterminal manages this. First time I've ever heard of it.

Transfer --> Capture text. Choose file (ie capture.txt).

Depending on how your PBX or key system dumps info, you could save the file as a comma seperated value file (capture.csv) and then open it with excel.

rrfield

save the file as a comma seperated value file (capture.csv) and then open it with excel.

That's one way. You can still do it with a regular .txt file usong fixed width instead of delimited. It is easier to do if you can save it rr's way though.

Well, he's back up. I replaced his powersupply and AGP card. And he's now shy 2 DIMM sockets. But he's back up and running.

Thanks again Prof.

OK...I didn't program the bloody thing, but whenever anyone in the office make a call and hangs up, the location of the call, the duration, start time and number dialed are placed on the HT screen. I can copy/paste the thing into excel NP...but I have to copy/paste at the end of every day. Some lines are useless...so now, I copy/paste into another tab...erase the lines that I don't need and then copy/paste that into the existing and running total. I'd rather do this in one step, or better yet, have excel update itself as calls come in.

Macros are your friends. I think you'd need to know some VB to write one that qualifies the data like that (unless the useless data always shows up in the same range of cells).

Back