quick! what car should i buy?

Every new car make is a good one...until the warranty is over. The questions that you should ask yourself are these...

1. Do I want utility, style, reliability, or exclusivity?
2. How much am I willing to spend for it?
3. Do I need a second vehicle in case the one I want goes TU or gets recalled?

Interestingly, I've been riding since 1972 and I still have all my appendages. I actually only know one motorcycle related amputee (among the hundreds if not thousands of riders I've met) and his happened on the track. If you're scared just say you're scared, don't make shit up (crap like that is a pet peeve of mine). Oh, I've never gone 170 on a bike and I seriously suspect whoever told you the story hasn't either. There have only ever been two street bikes that would get to that speed and I'll bet you could count on both hands the places where you'd have enough traffic free space to attain it. I've gone 160 though (at a race track on radar on an alcohol-fueled, highly modified bike) and I must say that it's around 130 (for me anyway) where everything changes. It's not really weird, but the track (or the road) gets apparently much narrower. It's an interesting optical illusion and it's not just me. I know lots of people who have noticed the same "effect." After that things just happen faster.

They clocked some guy doing 171 mph on the motorway not too long ago... can't remember how long they banned him for or if they even caught him, come to think of it.

I think I know 2 amputees... plenty of broken limbs though. I know more people in wheelchairs from car accidents... but then when it gets that bad on a bike, you don't usually survive... not sure I'd want to, to be honest...

I'll throw in a quick recommendation: Audi S-class. I believe the S4 is a mighty fast car and it's not to bad looking. Or, if it were me, i'd be looking at a used M5. My pops had one and that thing was DAMN fast. I believe his was an '02 and it was pretty sleek. Silver w/ black and red racing seats... Quick Edit: S4 base is 47,500; S6 base is 72,000

Also, as for the WRX, two of my buddies have them. Not the STi with the gold and crapola wing, but just the regular ones. They have been looking into upgrades recently, and it seems that there are a number of mods out there to make things faster. Might be worth looking at if you don't want to start out with the STi. EDIT: There is an STi limited, w/o the wing and gold rims... base is 33,500

I'll throw in a quick recommendation: Audi S-class. I believe the S4 is a mighty fast car and it's not to bad looking. Or, if it were me, i'd be looking at a used M5. My pops had one and that thing was DAMN fast. I believe his was an '02 and it was pretty sleek. Silver w/ black and red racing seats... Quick Edit: S4 base is 47,500; S6 base is 72,000

Also, as for the WRX, two of my buddies have them. Not the STi with the gold and crapola wing, but just the regular ones. They have been looking into upgrades recently, and it seems that there are a number of mods out there to make things faster. Might be worth looking at if you don't want to start out with the STi. EDIT: There is an STi limited, w/o the wing and gold rims... base is 33,500

Being an Audi 'owner', I have this to say...Audi's are great when they're running. When they're broke, they're hard broke. There is no driving them around 'for a while' while you're waiting for a part to be delivered or installed.

Ooo... almost bought myself a Shelby GT350 fastback when I was 19. I am probably still alive today because I didn't.

:grinyes: You'd be surprised to find out how many there are.

Naw, I wouldn't really.

Had a chance to buy 300SL Gullwing (in pieces but substantially complete) in 1978 for ten grand but couldn't come up with the cash. Heh, the one that got away, huh? About 8 years ago I very nearly bought a 68 XKE coupe (also in pieces) for three grand and my 55 but got talked out of it. Didn't really want a coupe anyway. It may still be available. If anyone's interested I can check. Re US muscle cars, I'd need to see the numbers before I bought one.

Had a chance to buy 300SL Gullwing...

yeah i know a guy who restored one of those.. along with a bunch of other cars... it's his business.

well, the company (nissan) it seems has gotten some sense and isn't charging me some of the "asshole" fees that had been mentioned, so after all this... i'm right back at...

2005SER.jpg

except a 2006 in black, which i will buy outright for $25k which is FMV right on the nose... the new sticker when delivered was $37k (i'm not even sure why they bothered with a sticker on a company car, and i was surprised it was that much), so i drove it for a year and earned myself a discount... but i know the history of the vehicle, and that's important, so it is all cool.

in all of this, i was surprised more by how many cars i had little or no interest in... so much out there that sucks...

If it's the gendre you're into, then I'd have to toss in behind the EVO too. I've owned Mitsubishi constantly since the late 80's and every car I've junked had a perfectly running engine buried under the rust. That said, I've heard that the EVO engine is super tough. Someone took the standard Lancer engine and added all the power hop ups of the EVO and melted the piston heads. So you're definitely talking an engine to die for.

minkey, what would your Detroit friends say?

"congrats. it's basic quality level is better than any car we've built for years."

i've spent enough time in assembly plants... where out of a run of 800 cars, 200 are sitting in limbo waiting for various repairs because they're too fucked up to ship... but the plant manager is fine with that, because his performance numbers are on "built" rather than "viable" cars coming off the line.

less than 24 hours after i fedexed the cashier's check for the vehicle i've already ordered a NISMO cold air intake for it... hah...

Back