RAM

Gotholic

Alright, I am not sure how much RAM I have. Here is what it says on the machine: 3GB DDR3 Memory.

In system monitor under memory it says I am using 584 MiB (21.7%) of 2.6 GiB

I know GB is different than GiB and that I don't really have 3 GB of RAM but somewhat less. What I want to know is how much free RAM do I have left in GB, roughly so? I am thinking just over a 1 GB.

Winky

What was the question again?

The amount of physical RAM is reported in 'task manager'.

XP can only see about three Gig's anyway

What operating system are you running?

XP or Windows Seven?

catocom

what does it say on "My Computer" properties?

I'm guessing yeah you have about 2 gig left if using only 5xx

catocom

doh!
I forgot he was running linux.
Posted at the same time in this tread too.
How many more excuses can I come up with?....hmmm....

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Open a terminal and type top

Personally I like atop better, but it isn't installed by default (just type apt-get install atop)

Gotholic

Open a terminal and type top

Personally I like atop better, but it isn't installed by default (just type apt-get install atop)

Thanks!

I used the top command and it works! I have 2753420k total, 916808k used memory. I noticed it says two users and I suppose one is me and the other is root though I do not use root?

By the way, you linux sage you, have you used the exiftool? I have it installed though not sure how to use it. I have read to clean your photos, just cd to the their folder and run:

exiftool -all= *.jpg

However, I am not sure how to "cd to their folder" and when I run is that in the terminal after I "cd" it?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Thanks!

I used the top command and it works! I have 2753420k total, 916808k used memory. I noticed it says two users and I suppose one is me and the other is root though I do not use root?

By the way, you linux sage you, have you used the exiftool? I have it installed though not sure how to use it. I have read to clean your photos, just cd to the their folder and run:

exiftool -all= *.jpg

However, I am not sure how to "cd to their folder" and when I run is that in the terminal after I "cd" it?

Some processes (OS related) need extra privileges to make things work on a computer system so when you boot up they are automatically loaded and run as the root user, most of the time you should not worry about them.

I have never used the exiftool, but when someone says cd to the "folder" (actually directory, cd = change directory), what it means is that the active directory in the terminal should be the directory where the pics are located.

To determine where you are located right now, type the command "pwd" and to find where your pics are located you can use a graphical file browser like nautilus (or just click on open home directory).

e.g.
- Your username is "blabla" and you named your computer "mypc", therefore when you open a terminal the prompt will show something like

blabla@mypc ~$
if you type pwd you will most likely get
/home/blabla
which is what the ~ means actually.

Now if your pics are located say on /home/blabla/familypics

then you can type "cd familypics" (relative path to directory), this will only work if you are located in the immediate upper level directory (i.e. pwd prints /home/blabla), or if you just want to go straight to the desired directory without using your current position just do "cd /home/blabla/familypics" (absolute or full path to directory).

One last detail, if the directory name has spaces in it, like in /home/blabla/My Pictures, the command you should type is "cd /home/blabla/My\ Pictures", otherwise it won't work.

Gotholic

Some processes (OS related) need extra privileges to make things work on a computer system so when you boot up they are automatically loaded and run as the root user, most of the time you should not worry about them.

I have never used the exiftool, but when someone says cd to the "folder" (actually directory, cd = change directory), what it means is that the active directory in the terminal should be the directory where the pics are located.

To determine where you are located right now, type the command "pwd" and to find where your pics are located you can use a graphical file browser like nautilus (or just click on open home directory).

e.g.
- Your username is "blabla" and you named your computer "mypc", therefore when you open a terminal the prompt will show something like

blabla@mypc ~$
if you type pwd you will most likely get
/home/blabla
which is what the ~ means actually.

Now if your pics are located say on /home/blabla/familypics

then you can type "cd familypics" (relative path to directory), this will only work if you are located in the immediate upper level directory (i.e. pwd prints /home/blabla), or if you just want to go straight to the desired directory without using your current position just do "cd /home/blabla/familypics" (absolute or full path to directory).

One last detail, if the directory name has spaces in it, like in /home/blabla/My Pictures, the command you should type is "cd /home/blabla/My\ Pictures", otherwise it won't work.

Great! I think I got it! I should put you on speed dial. ;)

Thanks again!