'Rape film' released uncut

HeXp£Øi±

onica Bellucci stars in the shocking film
A controversial film featuring a nine-minute rape scene has been passed by British censors uncut.

Irreversible, starring Monica Belluci, has caused walkouts at film festivals such as Cannes because of its extreme violence.

But the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has given the uncut movie an 18 certificate, after consulting a psychiatrist.

The film's director Gaspar Noe had said he would rather the film was not shown if any cuts were ordered.
The BBFC, which is responsible for awarding film classifications, took the view that the film was "not designed to titillate".

But it said other considerations may have to be made before it could be released for home viewing.

The BBFC has had a reputation for coming down hard on sexually explicit films, but has recently allowed graphic scenes of rape from Straw Dogs to be passed.

Irreversible centres around a sex attack and the results of it, depicting sodomy, rape and murder.

At the 2002 Cannes Film Festival, about 250 people walked out of a screening, with some needing medical treatment to get over the shock of the movie.

Classification guidelines say there should be extra care when scenes eroticise, or appear to endorse, sexual violence.

Adult viewing

The BBFC called the scene "a harrowing and vivid portrayal of the brutality of rape". But it concluded: "It contains no explicit sexual images and is not designed to titillate".

"The Board was satisfied, therefore, that no issue of harm arose in the context of a cinema release for adult viewing only."

"If, however, Irreversible is submitted for video release, the Board will need to consider any potential for harm that might arise from the rape scene being taken out of context and viewed repeatedly."

Other scenes which were taken into consideration included one where a fire extinguisher is used to kill a man in sex club.

"The Board recognised that elements in the film may be shocking and (for many viewers) unpleasant," the BBFC said in statement.

Severe approach

"These, however, are not by themselves reasons for censoring them for adults. Our concern, and the public's, is principally with content which is likely to promote harmful activity.

But John Beyer of clean-up campaigners Mediawatch-UK is calling on local authorities to use their powers to ban Irreversible from their areas.

"I think this is another film that treats rape as some kind of entertainment and I'm not sure that by classifying films of this sort that it does anything to stop sexual assaults or sexual violence," said Mr Beyer.

"The board really ought to take a far more severe approach towards depicting that sort of sexual violence.

"It's wrong to classify it at all, it's wrong to be showing it in public cinemas where the wrong sort of people will go and see it," he added. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2346769.stm

"It contains no explicit sexual images and is not designed to titillate".
What the fuck are these people thinking? It's the brutality of rape that makes rape what it is! Not designed to titillate?

The rape scene in Sopranos a couple of seasons ago really affected me, more so than I thought it would. I couldn't imagine watching a 9 minute graphic rape in a movie.

There have been many 'rape scenes' filmed over the years.I saw a nasty one in a film where the by-standers were also charged. Can't remember the name, but it was an american film.

I'd rather see brutal rape scenes. Rape is an ugly thing. It should never be glamourized.

Jodie Foster was the one that got raped it that one, Susan Sarandon Prosecuted, can't remember the name either though...

I also remember quite a few, I believe the worst I saw was in one of the Death Wish series, 3, if I recall correctly.

:D Anytime.

While looking through her movies, I realized that she was in a movie called "The Hotel New Hampshire" which is a book by John Irving that I read. I should rent that one day.

I find such movies disgusting, and I would never watch it. The rape scene in Cape Fear nearly made me walk out. If we hadn't been there with another couple we would have left.

Still, it shouldn't be censored. Censured, but not censored.

its also about classical conditioning gone wrong. any rape grosses me out. its sick. the only benefit is that maybe jsut maybe someone might see what its like to be victimised and will then feel more sympathy for teh victims of said act. its very hard to watch shit like that as its disgusting and pain as i have said before is only good in an s/m way. rape isnt ever justified. unless its the rapist getting waht they deserve.

Professur said:
I'd rather see brutal rape scenes. Rape is an ugly thing. It should never be glamourized.

I concur. It's one crime that can never be forgiven. Because it's never forgotten.

the pain never goes away from rape. ask a victim f they werent killed. they never stop hurting. as gonz and prof said it should never be glamourised as its a very disgusting act second worse to cold blooded murder. it is unforgivable. thats why i want to expand the death penalty to include rapists and molesters.

freako104 said:
the pain never goes away from rape. ask a victim f they werent killed. they never stop hurting. as gonz and prof said it should never be glamourised as its a very disgusting act second worse to cold blooded murder. it is unforgivable. thats why i want to expand the death penalty to include rapists and molesters.
Agree with you here in full.

Back