Rebel Roost v2.0

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Seeing as so many of you guys have been so generous toward us and have given us so much support since the house fire of January 17, I thought I should maybe give y'all a status report thus far. Hence, if you don't really care, you can stop reading right here and move on to the BUNS - Nice and Hot thread. :lloyd:

I. Health

No one was hurt in the fire, so we're all OK. My own myriad of physical maladies have maintained...not much better, but not really any worse either.

II. Housing

We have investigated a number of possibilities on the housing front. We looked at selling the land we have and buying another house in the same area. No.

We looked at modular homes. No. To get what we want is more expensive than we want to commit to.

We submitted a floor plan to a builder we know, who cut us every break he could to try and make it happen. It was doable, but it again tied up more resources than we were comfortable with. There's a difference in being able to afford something and being able to have a life while you afford it.

Thus, we have all but settled on our replacement housing. We found a double wide (yes, we'll officially be Tennessee trailer trash...how enthralling) on permanent foundation. It's bigger than the house we had, and naturally it won't need all the repair the house needed. We love the floor plan and plan to have a deck building party within a year to add a front porch and back deck. I think we'll be better off in it than we were in the house. By the time we finished remodeling, we would have sunk over $30K in the house. Now we get to save that money. By all estimates, we should be in it by mid-summer or before. Sweet.

III. Stuff

We have been shopping for furniture, and found some pretty darn good deals so far. Fortunately, AllEars' and I have very similar tastes as far as decorating goes, so that makes it much easier. Between the things we have had donated to us, a couple of smaller items we went ahead and bought, and a lay-away or two we have some furniture already taken care of. Toss in the things we found that we will lay-away soon, and maybe 80% of the furniture is represented. Not bad.

Clothing...man alive have we been through some piles of clothes. All we really have left to replace is some summer clothes, some work clothes (real work, not office work...overalls and such), a few specialty items like my Tampa Bay Bucs jersey, Texas Rangers jersey, and ball caps, and AllEars' needs some more threads. We'll get there gradually...no huge worries there. I just hate to shop for clothes...

The Oft Imitated Never Duplicated Music Collection From Hell is gonna be a slower process. A couple of folks here have generously contributed to that noble cause, for which I am eternally grateful. 700+ CDs won't be replaced overnight though, and the 2100+ LPs will likely never be replaced. I might not even buy another turntable...not sure yet. We haunt a couple of used CD stores and snatch up the bargain section there, and we check ebay and half dot com regularly, but it's like trying to eat an elephant - where do you start? I ain't gonna worry too much about it until we get relocated anyway...that much less to have to pack and unpack. Ditto the books. The ones that mattered to us will be replaced, but not until we move in. Boxes of books are heavy!

Other stuff like cookware and linens and small appliances, we have a decent head start on and will wait until closer to moving day for specific items that need to match a decor. We're OK on temporary stuff, so it's no biggie just yet either. The major appliances will be included in the new place except for washer/dryer (need to find them) and a freezer (donated already) and anything I forgot. :lloyd:

IV. Summary

We're doing OK all things considered. We'll never replace some of our losses and that hurts like hell. But through the incredible generosity of our families, friends, and community (including OTC) we are going to be fine.

And maybe...J U S T maybe...if everything can keep from blowing all to hell on us for a change...the 2007 OTC BBQ might have a volunteer host. If anyone's still interested that is.

Nothing wrong with a trailer, pal. You going with block or a poured foundation wall? I'm assuming you're gonna dig out a section beneath for a root cellar.

Probably not a true cellar.

We meet with the folks later this week to see about the foundation. I'll probably go poured wall.

We're pretty excited about getting the double wide. It should free up some income for us monthly. Like I said, there's a difference between affording something and affording it while still having a life. Plus, anything is as nice or as junky as you maintain it.

Touche. A friend had his trailer installed overhanging a slope. So he had a block wall installed. 2' clear under the front, but the back end had 6" clear for about 10' in. Poured a slab under that section, and closed up the inner wall. Used it like a shed for his mower and bikes. Since most of the plumbing was in that area, he was able to keep most of the piping under several feet of dirt. Helped bunches protecting against the freeze.

Professur said:
Nothing wrong with a trailer, pal.
nope, especially when you are starting out, or starting over.
There's some nice one out there, and you could enclose it later, add-on...
The main part of my house (where I'm posting from, and stay most of the time)
is the old part. An enclosed double-wide my mom and dad bought "used" when
I was 13.
Been a helluva lotta work done to it since, but some of it is original.

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with it. Just running down the process. I've been in lots of double wides that are nicer than houses. It's all in how you take care of it. Some people could trash Vanderbilt Mansion in a week.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Some people could trash Vanderbilt Mansion in a week.
I know that's right. Some people could turn it into a crackhouse in a matter of hours. :D

Did you guys know that we don't have trailers here in Hawai'i? Not a one. In Texas, my cousin has a double wide and it's beautiful. Her bathroom is bigger than mine (of course, that doesn't say much because I have the smallest bathroom in the world LOL), and that includes one helluva bathtub. She built a deck out back and it's perfect for evening barbeques and morning coffee. Not to mention it only costed her something like $30K. I couldn't get a foundation poured out here for that. Ok, I'm exaggerating :D... I can get a foundation, one room, one bathroom and some pipes. :D

BeardofPants said:
Forgive foreigner ignorance, but is a trailer like a caravan? :confused:

Not really. A caravan is intended for short term use. Usually involving moving it more than once a year. A mobile home is more a permanent dwelling, that's built to be able to relocate. Half way between a camper and a pre-built house. Older mobile homes were built with more in common with a semi trailer than a house, but now mobile homes are built to building-code quality control. Much more insulation. More electrical power. More rigid floors.

I saw a Trading Spaces/Changing Rooms on BBC and what they were calling a Caravan sure looked like a trailer to me :shrug:

tonksy said:
I saw a Trading Spaces/Changing Rooms on BBC and what they were calling a Caravan sure looked like a trailer to me :shrug:

Maybe caravan is like camping trailer? Where as mobile homes are kinda like trailers but also like houses? Like, I wouldn't call the trailer we used to have up north as a weekend/vacation home a mobile home...but it's not something you'd move regularly either...like on a road trip you wouldn't take it with you...maybe that's a caravan?

P2170_0.jpg

Camper. Note the lack of a front window. They may have a front window, but it will have a drop down shield to protect it while on the road.

lakeside2.JPG

older mobile home (curved metal roof)

KFphoto2.jpg

Newer mobile home (asphalt shingle roof)

us_homes_offices.8336.1.jpg

Newer double wide.

Most people are used to the "white trash" trailers and don't realize that mobile homes have advanced into the 21st century.

Yeah, they have come a long way. Still not stick-built, but 90% of the time you'd never know it just from appearances. They are built to the same codes as houses now. The main difference is the appreciation rate. Mobile homes used to depreciate, now they appreciate though not as rapidly as stick-built houses. I don't plan on selling, so it really don't matter much to me. Plus, should my ship ever come in, nothing says we can't sell it and build what we want. My folks did exactly that, granted they were younger than I am now, but still it's a possibility. I been waitin a long time on that ship though...it must have come in to the bus stop.

Professur said:
Most people are used to the "white trash" trailers and don't realize that mobile homes have advanced into the 21st century.

then why do hurricanes always hit them first? :D

bad joke ...

Back