Red Hot and...prickly?

HeXp£Øi±

Leahs legs and arms have turned red and they're really warm to the touch. She's complaining that they feel prickly as well. She's going to see our physician tomorrow but until then...anyone have any idea what this might be? She works with kids all day so it might be something one of them handed on too her.

Prickly...prickly...hmm

prickly like sandpaper is scarlet fever. she hasn't had a sore throat has she?

orrrrrrrr hives? I occasionally get some really odd allergic reactions, kinda like sandpapery pimply little things instead of the big skeeter bite ones.

I get the little sandpapery ones when I eat chocolate :(

Heat Rashes and Prickly Heat

Q: I think my son might have prickly heat, can you tell me what it is and what I can do about it?

Colorado

Dr Greene: Children's skin can be quite sensitive to heat. Nursing mom's often discover this, especially in the summertime, when their baby's face turns red where it is against the mother's skin. This redness comes from blood vessels in the area dilating to cool the skin down.

Cooling the skin usually makes the rash disappear within hours, or even sooner. Prickly heat (miliaria rubra) is a type of heat rash that lasts. Here the pores of the sweat glands get plugged, resulting in tiny pink bumps or even water blisters. These bumps tend to show up on covered parts of the skin, especially where there is friction from clothing. The forehead (under caps or visors), body folds, the upper back and chest, and the arms are the most common locations.

Prickly heat is most common when it is hot and humid, but it can also occur in overdressed infants even during the winter. Applying oils and ointments makes prickly heat more likely (and take longer to clear up). Often prickly heat itches, and older children describe a 'prickly' sensation. The rash can look quite similar to one caused by infected hair follicles (folliculitis), but if you look at the prickly heat bumps with a magnifying glass, no hair follicles will be seen.

I've also seen the itchy bumps of prickly heat confused with chicken pox, or the rash from the chicken pox vaccine. Prickly heat is treated with gentle cleansing of the skin. I like using Stri-Dex Acne Medicated Sensitive Skin Pads; the salicylic acid helps to unplug the pores. Hydrocortisone cream (not ointment) can help with itching. Sometimes antihistamines are needed for the itching (and sleep).

If the rash is infected, antibiotics may also be needed. With treatment, prickly heat should disappear within 2 or 3 days. An important note: fever can produce prickly heat, but is not caused by it - if your child has a fever, you still need to find the reason.

My daughter gets something like that when she eats coconut as she is allergic to it. I had scarlet fever when I was little, but I was too young to remember the prickly part.

I hope that it is nothing serious and the doctor gives her a snoopy bandaid and tells her to get some rest.

it would be unusual if it was scarlet fever. most people develop immunities to the bacteria that causes it. red and warm to the touch is characteristic of cellulitis, but that is almost always a localized infection. seen very few cases in more than one extremity, let alone all four. my guess would be a reaction to something. any new household products? creams, detergents, fabric softeners, soaps, etc.

Ok a couple of things to add. First the fact that my daughter has been itching all week and has been complaining of back/neck pain. She's always complained of pains though and so i dismissed this as growing pains. Now though Leah is also complaining of back and neck pains and she says her legs are unusually sore to boot. Prickly Heat sounds close to it but i think this might be something contagious. No sore throats either.

Put a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk in to a tub of body temp water - it's temporary relief til she sees Doc.

That is a very good question. I don't know the answer. But can you tell me the name of a classical Greek shoemaker?

Now she says her hands and face feel swollen and her muscles are extremely sore. Tried an oatmeal bath and a double dose of Benadry and neither helped. Have ruled our chicken pox or measels. Did a full set of blood tests and will have the results monday.

Jeebus. I don't get where the sore muscles would come in with an allergy. Sounds viral.

Fever? is the rash simply fever hives maybe?
Spot?

it can be tough to tell without seeing the person. can get a lot of information just by looking.

extremities still red and warm?
hands and face feel swollen and sore muscles.
back and neck still sore too?
fever?
nause/vomiting? cough/congestion?

Back