Relationship Influences...

Vortex

Just had a thought, and I'd like your guys input in on it of possible :)

When it comes to your personal relationships, that being with SO's and such, do you think that the other relationships in your life, (like that of your grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, or even those of your peers) effects the way you see relationships, or even how you act in relationships??

And if so, how?

Raven

Annoying SOB
a13: pendantic

Tex: Nope not really. I try my darndest not to let anyone influence any aspect of my life. As such I live and love as I see fit. As such I am known to be a bit of a caring, if rather inarticulate, soul when it comes to this stuff :)

AlladinSane

Not sure what are we talking about here. I always make a good effort in watching another's relationships, trying to learn with their rights and wrongs. Other than that, I usually don't talk about a relationship with anyone else, until I'm pretty in. That allows me to prevent any outside influence that could come off. Though is really hard for anyone to stay completely out of influences...

Vortex

AlladinSane said:
Not sure what are we talking about here.
Like lets say for example, if your grandparents were divorced, your parents and aunts are divorced, do you for example strive to do better in relationships, trying not to fall into that, or do you try and do your best to avoid relationships so that you don't have to go through the efforts of that.

That's just an example, it's not just left to divorce, or even how happily married couples could affect you, or those that fight, or those that are just *BLAND* o_O

Sortta on the lines of that.
I'm interested to see what other people have to say :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yep, I think it affects you greatly. The only thing is do you learn from it or just follow it. My grandparents were married for 36 years before my Grandpa died about 20 years ago. The thought of them ever getting divorced was never even brought up, even though at the beginning of the marriage my grandpa was a physically abusive alcoholic. They worked through it. Now, my mom has been married 4 times since I was born. I look at her relationships and can see where they went wrong, and I can see where if they had both tried a little harder, they could have salvaged them too.
I think alot of the divorce problem these days are people expect perfection in their spouses, and when it is less than perfect, they aren't willing to work on it to make it better. They just figure that it wasn't meant to be and call it quits.
Now, I'm on my second marriage, and looking back, if I had really tried, I probably could have made my first marriage work, but I didn't want to. That probably comes from my mom. The marriage I'm in now is getting rocky, but we're working on it, we both want it to work, and we are both trying to make it work.

So, yeah, I think that the relationships around you influence you, but I think in my case the relationships I've had have had almost as much influence. I know what I want, I know what I don't. That's a big step.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I agree with PT. I think that relationships around you influence you but your own past relationships influence you even more.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Yes, basically from what i've learnt by seeing other relationships, you get to know what you want out from a relationship, in my case, i look for something similar to the relation of my parents it was pretty cool and most people said that they still looked like boyfriend-girlfriend not as a married couple.

Even when i learn from watching another relations, i don't let opinions influence my relation, they might help when i need an advice, but generally i just ignore their comments because those are biased to what they want not to what i want.

freako104

my ex had friends that had that influence on her. she doesnt even talk to them anymore the last i saw her. in my case somewhat yes. my momll kick my ass if get into a relationship adn cheat or something like that. but otherwise its all me and her

I ewas to folow my parents expample, i'd be hapllily married forever, but no, i will not be coifined to marrage, and have learned love is a lie, but take solcae in the fact i have nob given yup om oit totaly!

IDLEchild

When you date animals no one questions you...basically because they are too scared and they question your humanity.....

freako104

Buttcrackdivine said:
When you date animals no one questions you...basically because they are too scared and they question your humanity.....

you know this from personal experience no?? ;)

justin love isnt a lie. trust me youll find it one day with the right woman.

HubbaHubba

basically i look at my gf's best friends realtionship with my roomate; and make sure me and her dont do that.. there relationship blows goat ass