Remembrance Day

MrBishop

The 11th Month, the 11th day, the 11th hour. When we remember those who fought and fell to secure our freedoms. May we never forget them.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

The Honourable Albina Guarnieri, Minister of Veterans Affairs, has declared 2005 the Year of the Veteran. Throughout the year, Canadians will celebrate, honour, remember, and teach our youth about the contributions and sacrifice of our veterans.

"Today, we ask a new generation of Canadians to surrender their time, volunteer their hearts, and take one year to fully remember a century of sacrifice. That year is 2005 - The Year of the Veteran." - Minister Guarnieri

Every year is an important year to honour veterans and their service and 2005 is especially meaningful because it marks the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War; and the Government of Canada is developing a new Veterans Charter that will better support releasing Canadian Forces members and their families who are re-entering civilian life.

source

"Why wear a Poppy?"
"Please wear a Poppy", the lady said,
And held one forth, but I shook my head,
Then I slopped and watched as she offered them there,
And her face was old and lined with care;
But beneath the scars the years had made
There remained a smile that refused to fade.
A boy came whistling down the street.
Bouncing along on care-free feet.
His smile was full of joy and fun,
"Lady" said he, "may I have one?"
When she'd pinned it on, he turned to say:
"Why do we wear a Poppy to-day?"
The lady smiled in her wistful way
And answered: "This is Remembrance Day",
"And the Poppy there is a symbol for
The gallant men who died in the war".
"And because they did, you and I are free
That's why we wear a Poppy you see".
I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
"He loved to play and jump and shout.
Free as a bird, he would race about.
As the years went by, he learned and grew,
And became a man-as you will, too".
"He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile.
But he'd seemed with us such a little while
When war broke out and he went away.
I still remember his face that day.
When he smiled at me and said good-bye.
I'll be back soon, Mum, so please don't cry"
But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
"His letters told of the awful fight
(I can see it still in my dreams at night)
With the tanks and guns and the cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and bullets, the bombs and the fire".
"Till at last, at last, the war was won -
And that's why we wear a Poppy, son".
The small boy turned as if to go.
Then said: "Thanks, lady I'm glad to know.
"That sure did sound like an awful fight.
But your son - did he come back alright?"
A tear rolled down each faded cheek;
She shook her head, but didn't speak.
I slunk away In a sort of shame.
And if you were me, you'd have done the same;
For our thanks, in giving, is oft delayed,
Though our freedom was bought - and thousands paid;
And so, when we see a Poppy worn,
Let us reflect on the burden borne
By those who gave their very all
When asked to answer their country's call
That we at home in peace might live.
Then wear a Poppy! Remember - and give!

I will be in the Remembrance day parade tomorrow morning. After it is over, many of the local vets come over to our unit where we can talk with them.

I wouldn't miss these parades for anything.

x1pgliP38XxBL0pPqLJt6pb_j1e7S_LI03V.jpg

Let us ALL remember to THANK those now serving to ensure our freedom as well as those who have served us well.
Bless you dad and mom for your service in WWII.

*SALUTE*

What is Armistice Day?
Armistice Day is on 11 November.
A two minute silence is observed at 11am on 11th day of the 11th month because this is when the Great War, or World War 1, came to end in 1918.

But now, this anniversary is used to remember all the people who've died in wars since World War 1.

Well...I'm back from the Cenotaph. I'm lucky enough that it's only a few blocks away and an easy walk.

It's cold out there today, but I'd hazard to say that it's not nearly as cold as it was in the ditches, nor as cold as it is in the graves of those who died so that we might live.

Another year of no one taking a moment of silence at my office. Only me and the coworker in front of me because I told her it's time. I'm sick of the disrespect!

Uki Chick said:
Another year of no one taking a moment of silence at my office. Only me and the coworker in front of me because I told her it's time. I'm sick of the disrespect!

As much as these people irritate me, I don't think it's intentional disrespect. People have been taught, especially the post Eisenhower folks, that self-service is above & beyond. Sacrifice is no longer valid, much less valued. Do your own thing replaced "Ask not..."

Sad, really.

Gonz said:
As much as these people irritate me, I don't think it's intentional disrespect. People have been taught, especially the post Eisenhower folks, that self-service is above & beyond. Sacrifice is no longer valid, much less valued. Do your own thing replaced "Ask not..."

Sad, really.

The problem is, they think of it afterwards and say, "shit, we forgot to take a moment of silence, well, it's too late now"

We had quite a good turn out at our parade. Sadly, the Vets are growing fewer and fewer each year. I'll tell you, It brings a tear to my eye to watch them march by.

Here is a picture I got my father to take. Didn't really turn out. I was just to the left of the center.
IMG_0751Medium.jpg

And afterwards, at my girlfriends house since it also happens to be her birthday.
IMG_0769Medium.jpg

K62 said:
We had quite a good turn out at our parade. Sadly, the Vets are growing fewer and fewer each year. I'll tell you, It brings a tear to my eye to watch them march by.

Here is a picture I got my father to take. Didn't really turn out. I was just to the left of the center.
IMG_0751Medium.jpg

And afterwards, at my girlfriends house since it also happens to be her birthday.
IMG_0769Medium.jpg

she is hot :brow:

Back