Rental Car Accident Etiquette

MrBishop

Just got this email from a friend of mine. This just happened to him...seriously!

Word to the wise:
If you are involved in an accident with a rental car (and you have taken the insurance) everything is quite trouble-free. They will pay for the towing and pick-up charges and you are off scot-free for any damages to the car (as opposed to the $500 deductible that most credit card companies will charge you if you take the insurance on your card).

Also, by taking the rental car company's insurance, you can walk away 5 minutes after you return the car and sign a couple of papers...no muss, no fuss, no hassles... (actually, if you are in the middle of your rental contract, you can drive away in your replacement car...but I was only going to return the car in about 8 hours anyway so I declined a replacement car).

However, if the accident happens before you've had a chance to fill up the car, they WILL charge you for the gas you have used.

Remember, the insurance you take is on the car...not on the gas IN the car.
So if you can, fill up the car before the tow-truck arrives. I wish I'd known this because I spend 1:45 in the parking lot of a PetroCanada waiting for the tow-truck from budget to come and pick up the car (and me). I could have gassed up at any time...grrrr...

In their defense, however, they will only charge you either their regular rate OR the pre-paid option...whichever is cheaper. And, of course, they were happy to point out their "magnanimous" gesture...

Which in my case that meant paying $54 for $20 worth of gas instead of $90.
Still, all things considered if all I'm out is an extra $34...then I really have nothing to complain...especially after seeing the multi-car pile-up on the Decarie Friday night. Not a pleasant way for them to start off their holiday season. Meanwhile my biggest worry was whether my Peanut Brittle broke or not... :)

Happy Holidays everyone and please drive safe. Remember, it's not only your driving you have to watch but also the driving of everyone else on the road...which at this time of the year is questionable at best !

Thanks...but after living in Houston for 10 years, you have to look out for yourself on the road because nobody else will...as far as the drivers of Houston are concerned, they're the only ones on the road

Back