Report: Apples will soon have Intel inside

chcr

Too cute for words
SAN FRANCISCO — Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to announce Monday morning that Apple will discontinue using microprocessor chips made by IBM in favor of Intel (INTC) chips, according to CNET Networks's News.com and The Wall Street Journal.
Link

I saw this as a rumor several months ago, guess it was true.

if they do that, than what point is there in me ever buying a mac, other than that it looks cool? i can go and spend half the price on the same machine, i think this would be another sad step towards the end for apple.

tommyj27 said:
and i wonder if an x86 port of MacOS would follow?
Exactly what I was thinking. Available for whiteboxes then? Competition for Microsoft? Interesting.

Mirlyn said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Available for whiteboxes then? Competition for Microsoft? Interesting.
Same here.

BTW, don't forget that MS owns controlling interest in Apple.

Oh the Horror the horror
They will simply have to do something, like in the bios
to keep the Apple version of Linux from running on just any old Intel box.

Poor olde Apple Fanbois and gurls.
Guess it had to happen sometime.

Since Mac OSX is already built according to the POSIX specification it is the same to use whichever CPU you like. IMO, it was a smart move and should make Apple puters cheaper.

Winky said:
Oh the Horror the horror
They will simply have to do something, like in the bios
to keep the Apple version of Linux from running on just any old Intel box.

Poor olde Apple Fanbois and gurls.
Guess it had to happen sometime.
the reverse engineering community will find a way around it, they always do. then i'll have my way with OSX.

tommyj27 said:
the reverse engineering community will find a way around it, they always do. then i'll have my way with OSX.

Driver development will be a problem then. Unless that POSIX also has a driver specification, in which case it would be enough to recompile the drivers from Linux.

Apple hasn't switched to Intel yet and you're already planning to use their OS. I wonder what the impact on MS would be. Apple should bet on software piracy so that their OS is spread and people get used to it and make the big corporations buy their products instead of MS.

In 2003, about 44 billion US$ worth of microprocessors were manufactured and sold.
Although about half of that money was spent on CPUs used in desktop or laptop personal computers, those count for only about 0.2% of all CPUs sold.

About 55% of all CPUs sold in the world are 8-bit microcontrollers.
Over 2 billion 8-bit microcontrollers were sold in 1997. link

Less than 10% of all the CPUs sold in the world are 32-bit or more. Of all the 32-bit CPUs sold, about 2% are used in desktop or laptop personal computers.
"Taken as a whole, the average price for a microprocessor, microcontroller, or DSP is just over $6."

Back