Resistance is futile...

Inkara1

Indeed, sir!

I'm on DSL... I dumped cable when tiny fires along the freeway knocked out my cable for well over half a day twice in two weeks last summer. I had no TV and no internet that whole time. So I got DirecTV and DSL.

DirecTV I'm happy with. DSL... at the old place it was fine, except that when it would rain hard, water would get into the system somewhere and make the phone really crackly and my DSL connection would be messed up for a while. At the new place, the best I could get was 3-meg instead of the 6-meg I had before... and before, my downloads were at a bit over 5,000k with the 6-meg DSL, and here, my 3-meg DSL gets me 1,700k doenloads. Worse, it disconnects EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a phone call, no matter what combination of DSL filters I try. But I'm sure that if I went back to cable internet but didn't get cable TV, they'd want to charge me a bunch extra. Verizon Wireless just turned on its EV-DO high-speed wireless data in my area, but realistically, the price and speed combination is nowhere near as good as you can get with a wire coming into the house. I also looked at wireless internet... it's more expensive too and I'd have to buy a lot of equipment. So, I'm stuck with DSL hoping sales calls don't come in.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I'm on DSL... I dumped cable when tiny fires along the freeway knocked out my cable for well over half a day twice in two weeks last summer. I had no TV and no internet that whole time. So I got DirecTV and DSL.

DirecTV I'm happy with. DSL... at the old place it was fine, except that when it would rain hard, water would get into the system somewhere and make the phone really crackly and my DSL connection would be messed up for a while. At the new place, the best I could get was 3-meg instead of the 6-meg I had before... and before, my downloads were at a bit over 5,000k with the 6-meg DSL, and here, my 3-meg DSL gets me 1,700k doenloads. Worse, it disconnects EVERY SINGLE TIME I get a phone call, no matter what combination of DSL filters I try. But I'm sure that if I went back to cable internet but didn't get cable TV, they'd want to charge me a bunch extra. Verizon Wireless just turned on its EV-DO high-speed wireless data in my area, but realistically, the price and speed combination is nowhere near as good as you can get with a wire coming into the house. I also looked at wireless internet... it's more expensive too and I'd have to buy a lot of equipment. So, I'm stuck with DSL hoping sales calls don't come in.

I detest DSL. I had it for 11 months and it was a pain in the ass. It was slow, unreliable and stupid. My cable has been slightly challenging since I moved to this place but it's SO much better. You lost your cable for two half days in a two weeks period and you jumped ship, yet you put up with being disconnected everything the phone rings and problems whenever it rains? Seems kinda skewed to me.

JJR512

I tried a BlackBerry Curve 8330 recently. I wound up not liking it much and returned it. I am back with my Palm Treo 755P with Palm OS.

What did I not like about the BB Curve? No touch screen. Since the BB OS is not designed to rely on a touch screen, though, this probably wouldn't be a problem, but it's just not what I'm used to. Another thing I didn't like: The general look/feel of the BB OS. That's just personal subjective opinion. About the navigator: I have tried to navigate in a car with my laptop with GPS receiver attached with both Microsoft Streets & Trips and DeLorme's Street Atlas USA. I have tried to navigate in a car with a phone. I have come to the conclusion that for navigating in a car, nothing electronic beats an actual GPS navigator. Sometimes, using the thing that's designed to do what you want to do is just the better solution over using some multi-purpose device that "also" does what you want. Finally: BlackBerry does not sync with Mac, not without getting a 3rd-party interface program. (Neither does Windows Mobile, for that matter.)

Inkara1

I detest DSL. I had it for 11 months and it was a pain in the ass. It was slow, unreliable and stupid. My cable has been slightly challenging since I moved to this place but it's SO much better. You lost your cable for two half days in a two weeks period and you jumped ship, yet you put up with being disconnected everything the phone rings and problems whenever it rains? Seems kinda skewed to me.

The rain thing sucked, yes. Being disconnected every time the phone rings for 15 seconds or so is merely annoying. Still better than being out of internet AND TV for 12-18 hours (when it's 100+ degrees outside, making going out and playing a bad idea).

That said... I'm in a two-year contract with DirecTV, and also, I'm happy with the service so far and don't really want to switch. If I were to get cable internet... I checked the prices and for the slowest speed they offer (5-meg) it's $19.99 a month for six months and $54.99 after that... for 10-meg it's $29.99 a month for six months and $59.99 after... for 16-meg it's, I think, $39.99 a month for six months and $79.99 a month after that. My DSL is $30.00 a month (I don't think it's a promo rate.)

Mirlyn

No DSL service availble for me (RT has been full for a year supposedly), but I'd much rather have it than cable. Cox is way noisy in this area, and getting much worse.

No landline here (just Vonage for LD), and if I switched, I'd go dry pair.

WM6.1 on my phone, upgraded from a Treo with PalmOS. I use Google Maps and the phone's GPS for my nav.