Ridiculous

IDLEchild said:
Ok the last one is painted but that car is all 3d....that isn't even the best one

Thunderbird.jpg

The car might be 3d, the mountains and the trees and some other stuff in there are photos for sure.

Luis

Yeah, the car is imposed to a digital picture. If you click on comments under that picture the guy show step by step pictures of his work. He also did an interior on the car which was equally impressive.

It was modeled in Maya and Lightwave 3d and rendered in Lightwave3d.

The quality is very good (wait, it is great), however he failed to put some realism on the tires, they should not look completely circular, you know, the part in contact with the ground should be a bit squeezed.

A great work none the less.

and the logo in the little hubcap in the center of the wheel isn't centered right; it's too far down just a tad. Great work, but if I look close enough I can tell the difference.

Absolutely incredible . . . all this time I thought "Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within" (the movie) was state of the art. When (not if) they start rendering entire motion pictures with the technology you've shown us here, actors will become obsolete.

Sharky said:
Absolutely incredible . . . all this time I thought "Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within" (the movie) was state of the art. When (not if) they start rendering entire motion pictures with the technology you've shown us here, actors will become obsolete.

Well this won't happen for a good while. This level of detail is incredibly hard to get whereas hiring actors is a lot easier. Also making movies completely out of such realistic CG is incredibly time consuming and costly....the chance for failure then becomes next to none.

Actors don't need to worry about their jobs any time soon.

Plus a great human actors ingenuity can never be accounted for by a CG programmer.

With the speed and capacity jumps that computing has taken recently, I don't think it will be long before we see the proto type full length feature meant to appear real. They already have integrated mapping that allows them to skin one frame and the rest are done automatically...Could be interesting sooner than later.

Well even with Ray tracing and Bump mapping and using nurbs a feature length CG movie is about 5 years a pop. At that rate little movie studios still have to depend on people.

Actors have nothing to worry about because even in next 5, 10, 15 or 20 years full length, relaistic, feature length CG is still time consuming work.

Back up actors and extras might be in trouble though, since CG already ,very convincingly, replaces backdrops today so unoticed public in scenes isn't far behind.

Can you imagine real time, ingame, models will look this good on next generation systems....PS3 is too far away dammint.

Haven't they had the capacity to make feature flicks with a computer that look real for quite some time? The Crow comes to mind, since they had to computer-generate a dead actor for half the movie or so.

Back