Right, we're gonna set a date.

Which date for the BBQ?

• May 28-29 (Memorial Day Weekend)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • June 25-26

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • I won't be coming but I want to see the results and I'm too lazy to click on the view poll results l

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Professur said:
Wow. I guess you got outvoted on your own bbq, HL. Quite the landslide.

As it stands, the missus is rabid on this. I don't think I could avoid it if I tried.
did I miss a different thread on that? :confused:

OK, I hit up Travelocity and had it give me some prices for a flight from San Luis Obispo to Atlanta via LAX on Thursday, and a return flight on that Monday. I picked Thursday because I thought it might be nice if I could have a day to see the sights around Atlanta since I was only there once--a layover at the airport on the way to Florida in 1993.

In any case, they quoted me $394 round-trip on Delta... but my flight would leave San Luis Obispo at 5:45 a.m.

I also looked at car rental and the lowest four-day rental is $94.35... unfortunately, I'll be 24 at the time, meaning I have to pay the under-25 fee of $25 a day... so it would be about $194.35 if I were to rent a car.

Now to do the driving math.

So that's $588.35 if I fly and rent a car, or $394 without renting a car.

I'm estimating expenses for fuel and motels if I drive to be $506.19. Also, I would have my own car should I want to do something away from the group, or want to make a run to the local Piggly Wiggly, or shuttle between houses without burdening others and without fitting into others' already-full cars. Plus, I get 2,329 miles of commercial-free Sirius Satellite Radio.

But I was also estimating three days each way. That would mean 8 days off work if I were to forego the extra sightseeing day.

This doesn't seem to be a particularly cut-and-dried decision either way.

You might have to suffer being shuttled about by one of us. It would save a wad of time, your lower back, and keep 5000 miles off of your car.

Don't worry about seeing the sights... we have very little. We aren't like New York or New Orleans with dazzlies to the horizon. We're more like any other major city without a definitive 'symbol'... sorta like Miami. What do you think of when you think Miami? ... the beach? ... anything else? ...exactly.

The nearest Piggly Wiggly that I know of is 5 hours away. I'm sure there are some closer... but why?

Inkara1 said:
This doesn't seem to be a particularly cut-and-dried decision either way.

I was working this up with the missus this morning too. The whos, whats, and how longs. She wasn't smiling when I left. Seems that now she knows what's involved in this.

Jebus Crimminy... Wasn't that aboot friggin cold?

That reminds me... we got a we kiss o' snow overnight. Half an inch of the pristine fluffy type on the roof and lawns... but nothing stuck to the roads. Twas only the second snow all season long.

Inky, don't sweat a car. We can provide rides to and from airports, and that should be about all you need.

In June, any of the beaches will do, Hilton Head, Florida, pick one. It's 6-8 hours of road time, but hell, you've already done the really long drive.

we could take you to the botanical gardens or the zoo, inky. are those considered sites? and that somethingdome thing that is a huge old war mural...i haven't any interest seeing it but it's right by the zoo entrance.

unclehobart said:
Don't worry about seeing the sights... we have very little. We aren't like New York or New Orleans with dazzlies to the horizon. We're more like any other major city without a definitive 'symbol'... sorta like Miami. What do you think of when you think Miami? ... the beach? ... anything else? ...exactly.

The nearest Piggly Wiggly that I know of is 5 hours away. I'm sure there are some closer... but why?

There is always Six Flags, If you want to brave the friggin' crowd.

If six flags is in the works, let me know early. The season tickets at the MTL one is about half the price of the US ones. I'll buy up here.

Back